We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

Warm greetings from London.

I have a question or two, please, which I can't see answered in recent posts and would be grateful of your collective advice/ideas.

Having only spent a day in Barbados when embarking on a cruise, we're looking to travel there from the UK on January 1 for 10/14 nights (to be decided, dependent on your answers!). Airbnb looking likely and we've seen some great places.

We're a gay, 40-somthing male couple (if it makes any difference).

While I'm happy to spend the duration in one place, the husband fancies a trip to another island for a few days.

My question is, can this be done (fairly easily) and which islands are a) accessible and b) worth leaving Barbados for?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

You can always break up your stay with a few days at the Cotton House Hotel on Mustique (or at

the unique b&b The Firefly for more 'atmosphere').

Both great - but The Cotton House is rather expensive.

There are a couple of flights each day from Bim - used to be about £450 pp return.

The planes are 6/8 seaters mostly but with just one being a 18/20 seater.

They can be quite claustrophobic, so you need to be happy with that.

Twin turbo props - not jets (and no private jets allowed to land either - the airstrip isn't long

enough anyway).

There's little to do except totally relax and maybe go to Basil's Bar for a drink or snack but

it is very beautiful.

Rental vehicles are golf buggies and there's a round island speed limit of 20 mph.

For a 14-night trip I would suggest -

5-nights Barbados

3-nights Mustique

6-nights Barbados

Enjoy yourselves, whatever you choose to do.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

You can always break up your stay with a few days at the Cotton House Hotel on Mustique (or at the unique b&b The Firefly for more 'atmosphere').

Both great - but The Cotton House is rather expensive.

There are a couple of flights each day from Bim - used to be about £450 pp return.

The planes are 6/8 seaters mostly but with just one being a 18/20 seater.

They can be quite claustrophobic, so you need to be happy with that.

Twin turbo props - not jets (and no private jets allowed to land either - the airstrip isn't long enough anyway).

There's little to do except totally relax and maybe go to Basil's Bar for a drink or snack but it is all VERY beautiful.

No jet skis allowed or spear fishing.

Rental vehicles are golf buggies and there's a round island speed limit of 20 mph.

For a 14-night trip I would suggest -

5-nights Barbados

3-nights Mustique

6-nights Barbados

Enjoy yourselves, whatever you choose to do.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 02:19
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

If you like sailing you could try 5 nights BDS to acclimatise, fly to St Vincent and pick up a catamaran with skipper, sail around grenadines which is just stunning, take in mustique for dinner as suggested then fly back out of union as after 5 days sailing you will need a few days luxury on land. Different island every night for dinner while sailing. we tried this a few years back and just loved it. Takes chillin to a new level.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not

Well, I've just booked the flights. Gulp!

Thanks for the advice so far!

Reply to: A trip within a trip; bad idea (if even possible) or not
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted