We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

Just seen this announcement from today’s budget, apologies it’s $70 US (I can’t amend above.)to be implemented this October ,plus a hotel / apartment levy per night from 2020....any thoughts folks ??

Edited: 12 June 2018, 02:07
616 replies to this topic
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

Where can we read this?

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

nationnews.com/nationnews/…key-mini-budget

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

In Nation News Budget Update today, sorry I can’t do a link....it’s $70 US outside CARICOM and $35 US within CARICOM. Sorry but I can’t do a link to it.

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

Thanks bajanswife...I still haven’t got the hang of this link business yet !!!

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

This new departure fee will make airline tickets slightly more expensive, but we've been expecting some increased costs. At least the NSRL is being abolished, and the PM has said that the social partners and the Fair Trading Commission will be watching the situation to ensure that businesses are not "price gouging" by keeping prices high even when their costs are reduced.

As the PM pointed out today, we have some serious infrastructure and debt problems, and there has to be a little pain in order to get Barbados back to where it should be. She is trying to spread the pain around so that the poor working class isn't bearing all the burden (which is what usually happens with a structural adjustment program). According to her the amount of visitors to the island every year is triple the number of residents, and therefore much of our infrastructure is heavily utilized by visitors. She feels that it is fair to ask them to contribute in a small way through departure tax and levies so that the island can once again be the "paradise" that people remember from several years ago. It will be worth it to have the sewage fixed, the garbage dealt with and the buses more reliable. We are so hoping that in a few years Barbados will again be the best that it can be, instead of what it has become in the past few years. I personally hope that we have enough repeat visitors who love our little island enough to be willing to stick with us for the next few years until we are back on our feet and the government may then be able to repeal this new departure tax.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Level Contributor
738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

I am afraid that in my opinion this is economic suicide. We all love barbados but enough is enough. Infrastructure problems exist but taxes have been raised before but what was it spent on?

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

Seems like economic suicide, I have just worked out that adds $265 US to our winter holiday. That isn't a small increase, it's a lot in my opinion, especially given the dire exchange rate, which obviously isn't the fault of Barbados but is still a factor given a big proportion of tourism to Barbados is from the UK.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 04:10
Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

What is great news ,that $27 million is being allocated to fix the sewage problem ,on the south coast,I for one will gladly pay the extra tourist tax for this alone,if the beautiful Graeme Hall, Worthing area,returns to that which it was.The one item I dont understand is the $20 million to purchase new buses,,have I missed something,whats wrong with the existing ones?Also I think the fuel tax of 40 cents a litre is a bit steep for Bajan car owners

Mentioned in this post
Worthing
Worthing
Barbados
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

At today’s date this exit tax will increase flying costs by £52+ per person, as well as any increase of hotel room/apartment taxes passed on to the tourist, which undoubtedly they will be.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.

"until we are back on our feet and then the government will be able to repeal this departure tax" ??? One thing I have learned about taxes in my 60 years on the planet is that once they are introduced, they rarely are dropped. I understand the governments position on this matter. They were left a "debt hole" by the previous incompetent government. Sadly, there are some folks who will probably think twice about being able to pay more fees for a trip to Barbados. Pensioners/retirees especially will be the ones who may have to cut back travel to BIM.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Reply to: Government to introduce Departure Tax $75 US from October.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted