We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

London, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Hi all, thanks for some help some of you have given me previously. We are now in Barbados and what a terrible place it is! ;-)

My husband loves monkeys so whenever we go somewhere with monkeys we like to ensure we see them if possible. We have limited time here and a long list of things to do so are thinking we'd only do either the wildlife reserve or Welchman Hall Gulley.

Any opinions on which is best? I'm a bit nervous about any kind of wildlife park as not big on animals in captivity, but this one gets good reviews...

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
6 replies to this topic
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,339 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Jules

Go with the Wildlife Reserve in the afternoon and be sure to pop around to Grenade Hall which is there as well. Monkeys are always there, especially in the afternoons.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Barbados Wildlife Reserve
882 Reviews
Barbados
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Barbados Wildlife Reserve gets my vote! Especially if you go just before 2pm to experience the feeding time.

Mentioned in this post
882 Reviews
Barbados
London, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Thanks, both, for the input! Looks like Wildlife Reserve it is, then - and in the afternoon! Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
882 Reviews
Barbados
London
Level Contributor
977 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

My vote would be for Welchman Hall, its a beautiful peaceful place and a totally different experience to the Wildlife Reserve, which IMO is just a zoo. I really did not like the wildlife reserve at all on my one and only visit. I must have visited Welchhman Hall 20 times or so and have always seen monkeys on each visit, they also do regular feedings there so you are virtually guaranteed to see them if you visit.

Mentioned in this post
882 Reviews
Barbados
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Just to add, when we visited again in May we didn’t actually go in to the Wildlife Reserve but stopped at the car park and walked to the Signal station. There were quite a few green monkeys there. I suspect the staff feed them so visitors with kids can take a photo or two.

Last year when we took our niece with us to the Wildlife Reserve one of the keepers (Ron) kindly offered to give us a tour and we met many different animals. Quite a few of the animals are free to roam around and not kept in enclosures.

I really like the Welchman Hall Gulley but never saw any monkeys there.

Mentioned in this post
882 Reviews
Barbados
London
Level Contributor
977 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley

Monika, you will definitely see monkeys at Welchman hall if you go at feeding time!

Edited: 14 June 2018, 02:43
Reply to: Wildlife Reserve vs Welchman Hall Gulley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;