We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

manchester uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Hi

I have just been reading through the tax increases published by Barbados Today, it states...

'Those operating in the “shared economy” including Airbnb and Homeaway type lodging will have to pay a ten per cent tax, effective August 1.'

Does anyone know if this is on top of the 7.5% tax we have already paid or if it means an increase of 2.5% to take the total tax we pay to 10%?

Thanks for your help

Joanne

33 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,318 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

the 7.5 % is a VAT -whereas the room levy is different --- when the VAT is increased for the hotel sector in 2020 the VAT will be 15% --- I imagine the shared accommodation room levy will remain the same

manchester uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
2. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Thank you, so does that mean when we arrive on the 16th of August this year we will have to pay a 10% room levy on top of our accommodation costs and the 7.5% VAT?

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Looks like it the way it’s explained as they are ‘seperate’ Charges.....it’s a bit of a moveable feast at the moment.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
383 reviews
4. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

manchesterlou

The 10% is on top of the VAT as it is a separate levy.

Regards

manchester uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
5. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Great that's a 455 USD increase looks like we'll be spending more time eating in at the villa :(

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

I wonder how this 10% can be enforced (regarding apartments), I rent from a UK owner and the money doesn’t hit Barbados as it goes from UK bank to UK bank.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,662 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Exactly.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
8. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

We are renting through a Canadian owner but I think the property is managed by a barbadian company..

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
383 reviews
9. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

More details will be revealed tomorrow at the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association AGM.

Regards

manchester uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
10. Re: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation

Thanks BGIworldtraveller, will the information be published in Barbados today again?

Reply to: Tax Increase On Rental Accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted