We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Level Contributor
19 posts
Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Hello! We are planning on flying to Santiago from Havana on June 28 and want to rent a car in Santiago and drive across Cuba and end up back in Havana. We have been searching for a car but it appears we waited too long. What are your thoughts on hiring a driver and how would we goabout doing that? Also thoughts on just paying taxis as we go? We would like to stay in a different Airbnb each night till we make it back which is going to take some strategic planning. I will be there for two weeks and am worried about having enough cash. Thanks for your help!

11 replies to this topic
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,034 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Have you considered travelling by Viazul or Transtur/Conectando buses?

viazul.com

cubalatintravel.com/bus_citta_citta.php

Level Contributor
19 posts
2. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Hello! I have but I would also like to book my Airbnb's before we leave and spend each night at a different spot. We arrive in Havana on a wed and meet to return back to Havana on Monday to pick up a friend. On wed we'd like to fly into Santiago and spend the night and then spend the next few days working our way back. Have you had experience with these buslines? Do you prefer one over the other? Are there any issues purchasing our tickets in advance so we can carry less cash while we are there? Thank you!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,965 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Doesn't sound like much fun, staying in a different place each night, sounds like a lot of driving, but not a lot of enjoying; how long do have between Santiago and Havana?

Level Contributor
19 posts
4. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

We have from wed night till Monday afternoon to make it back across.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,034 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

I have ridden on both Viazul and Transtur buses. The latter you cannot book online but they can be booked at most major hotels and anywhere there is a Cubanacan desk or office.

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Codie L: I agree with HfxJohn. Lots of driving on not so good roads. Lots of watching empty fields, sugar cane, and banana trees pass by. Four occasions to repeat a few hour superficial overview of places that will appear similar on the surface. Slightly more enjoyable than being a long haul truck driver but not much.

I have been to Cuba almost 50 times but been on both ends of the country only once. And that was a unique circumstance and not for pleasure.

I have always believed that if you cannot spend at least two full days and nights in someplace in Cuba, don't bother stopping. It is a place to be experienced not seen. You simply cannot experience anyplace without spending some time there.

If you are worried about having enough cash, simply put it in different places (which you should do anyway)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

i would never rent a car in Cuba if you get into an accident there goes your vacation $$$$$$$$$$ take the bus

but that's me.

Edited: 27 June 2017, 09:51
Joliette, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

If no cars are available in Santiago take the bus to Holguin 100km about (12 cuc)north or go west by bus to Bayamo then rent a car . I recommend you drive only during daytime . there are casas always available 25cuc no need to reserve if you choose where you want to sleep in daytime. most casa owner's can refer you to your next casa in your next destination. if you are Canadian or European your bank cards and credit cards work in ATM "cajeros automaticos" (150 cuc )

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

Viazul is asking me for passport info in order to register so then i can purchase a ticket? is that normal?

Caimito, Cuba
Level Contributor
21,273 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana

adas - yes, I believe that it is.

Edited: 11 January 2018, 08:29
Reply to: Rent car in Santiago and drive to Havana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted