We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
658 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

Any recommendations for our stop. Would prefer to do something on our own and not a tour. A restaurant or site to see.

6 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

How much time do you have?

It's a 5 minute taxi ride to Santa Ifigenia Cemetery

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Take a walk up Calle Enramada to Plaza de Marte

santiagodecubacity.org/en/parks-streets/enra…

Cespedes Park is a 20 minute walk up from the bay. There you will see Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption and the Casa Granda Hotel with it's large terrace.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ifigenia Cemetery
Santa Ifigenia Cemetery
596 Reviews
Cuba
Cespedes Park
Cespedes Park
436 Reviews
Cuba
J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
658 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

I should have got a map or printed one. Just in port from 8:00 till 2:00. I did not want to do the ship’s tour today so just went for a walk. With camera in-hand off I went. I found Cespedes Park and the Granda Hotel, click, click with the camera. A do it yourself tour guide latched on to me, it took a while to let him know I was not interested. Seen a busy street and it was Entramada. Another self-appointed tour guide latched on to me. This guy was more determined. He did point out the place for the best mojito, so he said, in Santiage de Cuba. It was Bar el Tranguito. The bar man flamed some rum on a board, rimmed the glass in the rum and filled it with sugar, mint, ice, soda, and 7 year rum. Very good 7 CUP. I ditched the guide. Back to Entramada where I found the ship’s tour checking things out. Time for lunch. Went to find St Pauli but it was not open till noon. Tried to find the Granda Hotel again but missed it and needed a banio. I was near the dock again so just went for the ship. It was fun.

Mentioned in this post
Cespedes Park
Cespedes Park
436 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
St. Pauli
St. Pauli
223 Reviews
Cuba
3. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2017, 05:07
Edited: 25 November 2017, 05:07

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
789 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

J&W

Sounds like you managed pretty well without the need for a "tour". The maps.me app could have prevented you getting you lost as it can be accessed offline.

I suspect your mojito was actually $7 as 7CUP is less than 50cents, and would inspire die hard drinkers to plan full days at Bar el Tranguito.

CubanWaters made good suggestions and the other would have been a taxi to San Pedro de la Roca del Morro Castle - maybe next time?

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
London, Canada
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

I removed my post because just relized the OP has already returned. Sounds like you had a great time, and I agree we also like to tour on our own when we travel, but as you said it would have been better to have maps and information printed out. I tend to be over prepared and know more about where I'm going before I even get there. Those self appointed guides sometimes won't take the hint, one time in Jamaica this guy attached himself to our jeep, no matter how we tried to get him off, he wasn't moving, finally had to give him a couple of bucks to get lost, so they are like that everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
658 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop

I get CUP and CUC mixed up. The cruise was very nice. You get to see things outside of tourist stuff.

Reply to: Celestial Crystral Cruise stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Cuba