We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisas Sierra Mar

Kitchener, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Brisas Sierra Mar

Have been reading some mixed reviews on this resort, although they are mostly positive. We've done a 3.5 star in Cuba (Varadaro) before so we have some idea of what to expect and we're certainly not Divas. I am however a bit concerned about the state of the property. Are the facilities (buildings, rooms, pool, jacuzzi, etc. in poor repair)? Are there any issues with the septic system (backing up, nasty odors)? Is the place generally clean and well-kept? As stated, we're not that fussy but if it's "scuzzy" or "creepy," that would be a problem for me. Any opinions on this would be very much appreciated. Also, is there anything specific we should request when/if booking?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar

When are you thinking of going?? Hubby and I are booked to go. This will be our first time.

I was talking with a relative that went to this resort and they loved it. Mind you that was a few years ago now. I figure why not give it a go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar

Been there five times, just returned Jan 30th, the pool is fine, the Jacuzzi was being worked on. It may or may not be finished by now, they were doing the tile work when we left. I found my room always to be clean, only once had a moldy smelling room. Stayed in rooms 2nd and 3rd floor with ocean view, they were good. Halls are bit worn down but it didn't bother us. They are fixing some of the rooms with Garden View. Elevators not always working but it did not bother us as it helped with keeping weight off.

The Beach is small and we are Beach people and still enjoy it, the beach is bigger near the bar and towards the old pier. This beach reminds us of Lake Erie, dark sand, the water was warm, clear, sandy on the otherside of the pier. Food is good if you eat healthy. Had sunny 29 weather every day.

Never noticed septic back up odors and we had hot water every time, would say it is around a 3 star. The staff are great, there are a lot of repeat guests, its not the Hilton so if seeing peeling paint on the walls bothers you it could be a problem. We had room 323 this time and it was newly painted with updated washroom fixtures.

They just dropped new ground on the road and it was only a 1 hr 20 min drive this time, not too bumpy. They do have issues with some things, last time no wine, this time wine but no tonic. Always something different, drank gin collins instead of gin and tonics, was just as good.

Edited: 11 February 2011, 02:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar

I was there a couple of weeks ago. It is a 3.5 star, no worse. The place seems to be showing it's age but "scuzzy" & "creepy" are definitely not 2 words that I would use to describe it. Everything looked it decent shape except for some jacuzzi that was under construction. Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would want to jacuzzi in an area as hot as that!

1 hr and 20 minutes from the Santiago airport seems a bit generous to me. My taxi was 75 minutes from the Melia and he was blowing down the road when he could.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar

I just returned from this resort. The pool and the beach are great. The accommodations are basic yet clean. We felt the staff were not very helpful as we had been informed that there would be a couple of a la carte suppers at the 4 restaurants but when we tried to reserve (one hour after our orientation meeting), they were all booked up. After complaining, the hotel staff told us we would be accommodated at one of the restaurants on the Wednesday evening which is the evening before we were to leave. We showed up at the hotel desk at 5:15 pm to inquire about our reservation and were told they didn't have our reservation. We found the dining room buffet fare was good enough but we definitely needed a change and there were no other available restaurants in the area aside from a 1:15 hour trip to the city.

One other word of caution, we couldn't withdraw money from our credit cards as their system was down for the entire week. So if you don't have cash and want to go on their day trips (which can be costly), you have to take a taxi to the bank in a nearby town located about 20 minutes away.

Edited: 19 February 2011, 05:48
5. Re: Brisas Sierra Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 13:27
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor