We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low season and what to expect

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Low season and what to expect

Hello all, I'm heading down to Cuba late June/early July and I have a few questions about being there this time of year. We've been to the area mid December as well as mid March.

What is the occupancy like on the iA's? Staying at El Patriarcha.

I know that often there are things on the resort that may not be open as often or availability of things may be different depending on the time of year, any insight on this would be great as I don't really see much when I look at reviews from this time of year. Last time we stayed at this particular resort it was mid March.

As for Varadero itself:

Being what I assume is a slower season, does the bus run as frequently or do they run less buses? Are there certain places that will be closed because it's off season? Is there anything that's better to check out during low season? Is there anything food wise that might be better this time of year?

With it coming off of the rainy season what's the water like? More seaweed, man of wars, that sort of thing? Is there anything that's seasonal when it comes to marine life?

I think that's it for now, but if there's anything else specific to low season it would be great to get a bit of insight. TIA :) PS, sorry for the 20 questions

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
5 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low season and what to expect

better weather in Varadero June July should be hot sunny less Canadian tourist at big resorts they shut down areas in their resort say if they have 3 pools they only keep 1 open and some areas of the resort for renos.

i go in August I find the water temp about 70d no seaweed, no rain showers, sunny days very humid nights and hot best time to go to Cuba I think.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 21:15
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cambridge, Ontario...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low season and what to expect

We stayed at El Patriarca in early July 2 years ago. We have been there 4 times now, and I think the only thing that was different was that they would close one of the ala cartes, leaving 2 open. The resort wasn't full, but that wasn't a bad thing. Entertainment, etc. was the same. It was hot & beautiful, so we spent lots of time in the ocean.

We did go on the bus into town, and I don't recall that being on a different time schedule to any other time we have been, and was still 5 CUCs for the day pass when we were there in May. Think it's every half hour ... Cuba time!

We go snorkeling a couple of times every time we go, and haven't encountered anything in the water that didn't provide good conditions, so July would have been the same.

We were there last May, and again the same time this year, and they have lost a row of palapas on the beach, so there isn't quite as much shade as there used to be.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low season and what to expect

More and more visitors are going during the Canadian summer months. It’s a very popular travel time for those from Europe. There really isn’t much of a low season anymore.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low season and what to expect

Thank you all! It's a bit as expected, sounds like it will be similar to when we've been there in December. I've also been to El Patriarch quite a few years ago, mostly I wanted to make sure the piano bar didn't close during the summer months lol. We've been frequenting the Vista Azul and I've fallen in love with their beach. Definitely prefer lower occupancy.

saskatoon
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low season and what to expect

Some resorts have many Cubans come for their holidays.

Reply to: Low season and what to expect
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted