We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

Port Coquitlam
Level Contributor
434 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

Looking to take a last minute trip next week, alone this time, so don't have to worry about mom getting around! These two are both adults only, which I definitely prefer, and for single occupancy are priced lower than my usual 3.5 hotel, so upgrade time it is! I don't golf, so the unlimited green fees at Las Americas isn't a factor. They both get great reviews.

It's a huge price difference to get the concierge level at Las Antilles... does anyone know if there is any other lounge to watch the ocean from besides the exclusive bar up top? Is there ANY place with a view at Las Americas? And what's the difference between a supersaver jr suite and a deluxe room at Las Antilles, besides the different level for the sitting area?

I am also considering Memories Jibacoa just to get one of those oceanfront rooms :)

In other words... HELP! If anyone has been at both please tell me your preferences :)

Mentioned in this post
Memories Jibacoa
Memories Jibacoa
2,320 Reviews
Cuba
4 replies to this topic
Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

Hola! We have been to Jibacoa, and Las Americas. We also are regulars at Barlovento, and have had the pleasure of meeting you and your Mom.

We went to Jibacoa, quite a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. We had one of those oceanfront rooms. It is very peaceful there, with it being a mature crowd. The beach is so very different than Varadero. It’s great for snorkeling, but not so great for just swimming. When we were there, there were quite a few PMOW. It is very secluded, and very lush. I think it would be great for a solo trip.

Now, we did a split holiday last year, with Las Americas the first week, and Barlovento the second.

We loved it there as well. Being used to Barlovento, it was very luxurious to us. We had a beautiful room, with high ceilings, looking at the ocean, with a view of DuPont Mansion. Gorgeous! I do remember that the railing on the balcony was a little low for our liking. Don’t know why they did that. There is a great 24 hr restaurant/bar, that you can get some really good food. You can get breakfast served at an outside restaurant too, which is really nice.

We actually had a lot of fun with the animation on the beach. We don’t always join in these days, but they were a lot of fun.

We aren’t picky people, so we had absolutely no problems with the food.

Beach is beautiful, as usual. Food also is served at a bar on the beach. They have entertainment quite often as well.

The floors are all marble, so VERY slippery when wet! You must walk with caution.

Well, hopefully this helps a bit. Good luck in choosing! Hopefully see you at Barlovento again one day!

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

hi Endorable. I have stayed at both. A standard room, villa or in building are the same- you will find that the rooms are generally bigger than the Barlovento (this is referring to the Melia las Antillas). I have never tried the concierge service there. We have been there 5 times and would go back in a heartbeat if it was a good deal. You might like their outdoor terrace and their a la cartes. There are nice size decks, facing the ocean for each room but it has a tree cover on the resort.

Melia las Americas has a wonderful lobby for a gathering point, beach is easy to access, there are stairs from the building down to it. It has more of a variety of a la cartes. View wise with the ocean right there, you will not miss seeing it. When there, the last to check in of a full bus and upgraded to the honeymoon suite, it was two floors, a balcony bedroom, living room, kitchenette and two baths.. it was fabulous.

In terms of vacation experience overall, I preferred the Melia las Antillas-

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

For your information : "The Meliá Las Antillas has won TripExpert’s 2018 Experts’ Choice Award and Best of Varadero Award. TripExpert selects the world’s best hotels, restaurants and attractions, taking into consideration more than 1 million reviews from 85 travel guides, magazines, newspapers and blogs."

Mentioned in this post
Port Coquitlam
Level Contributor
434 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?

That's for such a thoughtful answer! I appreciate the comment on the slippery floors.. that's something that would concern me a lot with Mom as she's a little unsteady on her feet these days. I've visited a few hotels that I wouldn't bring her to.. Sol Sirenis has way too many stairs and broken tiles, and Los Cactus is pretty hilly. Now I know Las Americas is slippery when wet :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Los Cactus
Hotel Los Cactus
2,801 Reviews
Cuba
Reply to: Melia Las Antilles or Las Americas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;