We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

We are planning a trip to La Romana and like to shop for local products like silver jewelry and leather goods. Are there shops in La Romana like in Puerto Vallarta or San Jose del Cabo?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Where are you staying? Likely in Bayahibe. La Romana itself is a good sized Dominican town. You can buy almost anything here. Silver and Leather are for Mexico, not here.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Larimar and amber is the most popular stones in DR.

There is a famous shop, Harrison's that have many branches all aroud DR and inside resorts

Other stuff to buy is spices such as vainila, cinnemon, cigars, coffee, rum

Some people find hair products and nail polish very good and cheap

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

You can go to La Romana for shopping, it's only 15 minutes taxi ride from Bayahibe / Dominicus resorts. La Romana is the 3rd largest city in the country with around 150,000 people, s it's a pretty big city :)

But you can buy pretty much the same in the shops around Bayahibe and Dominicus if you don't want to shop at the resorts.

Happy travel

Denise

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

We never shop at the resorts. We will have a car, so driving is not a problem. My wife likes to shop for gifts that have a local flavor.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Something I believe is interesting are the masks that they sell in February and March for carnival, unusual and colourful!!!!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Check out Bob's post about driving. After reading that we'd NEVER rent a car!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
280 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Driving in the R.D. is not much a problem once you get use how they drive in the R.D. I had a an apartment in La Romana for about 18 months, so whenever i visited I rented a car, and never had any problems driving through La Romana and around the entire region, Bayahibe, Punta Cana, Bavaro, the campos.. as well as other areas too, La Capital, and aeven across the country.. But then again I'm from Los Angeles, so driving in the R.D. has never been an issue for me.

If you shop in La Romana, I would shop around the area near Central Park. There are plenty of stores in the area with a diverse choice of goods and products .. I would stay away from the ;large department stores . . . Again I've never had any problems in La Romana or any where else in the country for that matter... Just be down to earth, and friendly... the people are filled with smiles, and a song in their heart

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Edmonton_mamma - the driving on the south side of the island is not the same as the north (where B0b is from). We have mostly highways here, so the driving here is much easier than in the past. And specially here around Bayahibe - only 15 minutes to LA Romana, no problem at all. BTW driving in some parts of USA or Canada is not as easy either ;)

Newmarket, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Hi Demi,

I have been following alot of your posts and you certainly are an expert of the area. We will be at the Gran Bahai Principe Laromana next week and would love any suggestions on things to do, etc. We are not real tour people, ie a whole day tour is too much, do you know of any 1/2 day boat tours of the islands and areas we could arrange, we don't need lunch, beach or to snorkel and also do you know of anywhere we can get to by bus or short cab ride to tour, ie Bayahibe or LaRomana? Someone mentioned going to Case de Campo for a visit and it was $25 pp to enter to visit, what is there to see? Any suggestions would be great and I do like to shop!

Thanks, Cindy

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for gifts and local products in La Romana

Hi Cindy,

I am glad my posts are helpful. I just sent you a private message

Denise