We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irma

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hurricane Irma

I see where Punta Cana could be in the path of Irma. Anyone else seeing/worried about this? Apparently it's the European model predicting this. We're going Sept 2-7. Do we cancel and how are resorts (Excellence) about canceling when there's a hurricane involved and could potentially be in your path?

Edited: 19 September 2017, 12:47
Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
1,365 replies to this topic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Irma

It is far too early to predict the path of the storm with any certainty.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Irma

I saw this tonight. I'm not leaving until the 6th. I think it will impact me more than you. I was on this board a month or two ago bragging about how many times I've been to Punta Cana in September and had great weather. It looks like my luck has run out.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Irma

this model shows it heading north of DR (hit play at the bottom left)

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=15.4;-79.2;4&l=rain-3h&t=20170903/06

Cheers,

Mike

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,870 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Irma

It's important to note that one should not put too much faith in any one particular model. I've seen that in the past here in the United States - the European Model predicted Hurricane Sandy quite accurately, so a lot of forecasts will use that as their base model. Even though it's been wrong many times since, including missing two significant snowstorms last year in my area (in other words, predictions of a foot or more barely brought a few inches), forecasters are annoyingly jumping back to how it correctly predicted Sandy.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,340 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Irma

foxnews.com/world/2017/08/31/irma-rapidly-st…

Nj
Level Contributor
949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Irma

Right now it is anyone's guess but some forecast maps do show it hitting Punta Cana.

Hey Mike..do you remember the last time a hurricane made a direct hit on the DR? I don't recall any...

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Irma

Certainly worth following though if you are travelling in the next few days.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,155 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Irma

"Hey Mike..do you remember the last time a hurricane made a direct hit on the DR? I don't recall any..."

Jeanne, back in 2004 caused a lot of damage and we were there to greet her coming ashore on our first night

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Irma

So what are the people that leave tomorrow doing? Going or cancelling? We leave at 7am tomorrow and return Thursday afternoon. Some models say if it dies but the dr it would be Thursday. So still torn in what to do

south jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Irma

we're right there with you. Supposed to arrive on the 6th. always travel in Sept. never any weather issues. Oh well. Lady luck may still be on our side.

Reply to: Hurricane Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted