We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breathless sickness issues

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tequesta, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Breathless sickness issues

Ok, I've read the reviews good and bad. The only thing I am really concerned with is the repetitive mentions in both types of reviews regarding stomach issues. Does anyone have any insight on this? Hoping to be able to avoid the culprit if possible.....leaving in 5 days.....

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breathless sickness issues

Wednesday my wife and I will have been here for 2 weeks with 0 issues. Unlike many guests however, our day isn't consumed with drinking as much as we possibly can. I would venture to say the majority of people with "stomach issues" are the ones trying their best to get their money's worth.

Tequesta, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breathless sickness issues

Ok, good to hear, hope you have enjoyed your trip!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breathless sickness issues

No one ever admits they drank and art everything in sight on these reviews. It is always the resorts fault. I just ignore the stomach issues as I expect the majority are self inflicted

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breathless sickness issues

Good point, but we have both been very sick on a past trip. Almost immediately after a meal. I now take a swig of pepto before dinner...as a precaution.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breathless sickness issues

So many reasons one can get ill while traveling. Everything from overindulging in sun, food, drink, lack of sleep, dehydration and the list can go on and on, especially if you have any illness compromising your immune system such as Rhemetoid Arthritis or Lupus.

Best way to minimize the damage of potential illnesses is to eat normally, treat exotic foods with care and respect, drink water, water water. Spend time in the shade as well as the sun (it is STRONG over there), use sunscreen and mosquito repellent. A probiotic taken several weeks (ask your Doc) will go a long way in helping you keep the healthy bacteria in your digestive tract alive and happy.

Beware of the coconut, pineapple, mango and papaya! Delicious but too much will give you the trots! Been there and done that! Drink responsibly. Booze and sun will do bad things to you. If you do overindulge, follow up with plenty of water and drink a bottle before bed to reduce the likelyhood of a hangover.

Make sure you have pepto tablets, immodium, sun burn cream, neosporin, band aids and other things that make up a good first ait kit.

If, despite your precautions, you get sick on vacay SEE A DOC! Most good resorts have them on staff. Do not suffer needlessly. Let a doc determine what you have and if you need the help of the local hospital. Do not tough it out as self diagnosis does not always work.

Others will have plenty of tips for you as well but get pointers from your doc, who knows your health better than us well-intentioned people.

And have FUN!

Edited: 03 December 2013, 10:29
iowa
Level Contributor
827 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breathless sickness issues

train and build up tolerance if you want to over indulge! =) If you are a germ freak and have weak anti-bodies or dormant (natural body fighting anti-"germ) then you are probably going to get sick. If you do not drink often and think you can suck down drinks in the sun, then you will probably get sick. Personally I know proper cross contamination cooking 101...but I eat what I want, drink whatever alcohol I want, whenever I want am certain to have no issues that of someone who diets months before! My point it is not always the resorts fault! Oh and if you think I am a fat sloppy gross American you are wrong =) just not a fun prude

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breathless sickness issues

I think the greatest opportunity for getting sick is the airport! UUGGHH! If you can survive THAT human petri dish, you can survive ANYTHING! :D

8. Re: Breathless sickness issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 08:35
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breathless sickness issues

Well, since ya cannot shrink wrap yourself, best you can do is take good care of yourself when NOT on vacay. This way your body will be more forgiving of a bit of self abuse. Sometimes it is simply bad luck. Wrong place, wrong time. You can only do the best ya can and hope all goes well. :D

Boston...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breathless sickness issues

dawnskye - you are SO right about getting sick from the airport. My worst bout of food poisoning was from breakfast eaten at Boston's Logan airport on the way to Cancun - by the time we had landed i was as sick as a dog. Luckily I recovered completely the next day.

Now I am very careful ordering airport food!