We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Good evening

We are due to return to the above hotel in October this year and have booked a beach villa. However, I have heard that there is planned work on the terrace and restaurants on the lower level (where the beaches are) and a new beach bar being built to 'accommodate families'.

Is this information correct and if so, when will the work commence and be completed by?

Many thanks

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana
#2 of 54 hotels in Samana Province
Hotel Alisei
Hotel Alisei
#1 of 35 hotels in Las Terrenas
15 replies to this topic
TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Here is what one of the tour operators in Canada has posted:

'All ages resort as of May 2018: Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado will welcome guests of all ages as of May 1, 2018 onwards.

Repairs to the retaining wall and path between beach and main access to the hotel are currently taking place. This work is scheduled to be complete by July 1. Beach Villas in this area have been closed during this time.

From July 1 - August 31, repairs to the terrace surface of the snack bar/beach bar and pool terrace will be taking place. These facilities may or may not close for short periods during the work schedule, but if they do, services in alternative locations will be offered in place. There will be no disruption to any services.

During repairs, the hotel is making every effort to ensure minimal disruption to hotel guests.'

We are going June 30 to July 7 and will post updates.

Mentioned in this post
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe...
5,799 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Worcestershire
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Thank you so much for responding.

I look forward to your updates xx

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

We will be there June 21-30 and will post updates.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Thank you x

TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Currently here and updating all on construction issues. If there are any going on we weren’t able to see them/hear them. All facilities are open and functional.

On a different note, lots of children (it is school holidays) and not zen like atmosphere at all. I will post a long review upon return,

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Curioasa

i don’t mind kids but could you comment as to are they in certain blogs like the Bahia website has said etc.

The road going up was under construction when we were there in January so I guess that is on hold.

We were there before and the kids mostly were at the upper pool as the ocean can be rough for them.

Looking forward to your review .

Any comments as ti if the kids affected your holiday overall would be appreciated as we are returning in July.

Steve

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

I meant to say certain buildings not blogs.

Sorry about the spelling spellcheck changed it on me.

Ooops

Steve

TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Steve,

Kids are allocated to certain room categories, I believe ones that can hold extra beds (junior suites) but we did not find them a bother in the building/villas. However they are everywhere from buffet to beach to pools and jacuzzis and a la cartes. Not a major impact but definitely not the adults upscale atmosphere we have experienced say at Excellence/Secrets resorts. It does take away from the experience at a la cartes as they now offer kids menu (typical chicken fingers and fries fare) anc your dinner may be interrupted by an occasional temper tantrum.

That being said we did experience the occasional rowdiness from adults as well :), which is only encouraged by the constant blasting music at the upper pool which unfortunately can be heard at the beach as well. I suppose the lower pool would be more quiet but we have yet to try it.

Gorgeous grounds and island though!

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Curioasa

Would you say resort is running at full capacity?

I would imagine it is not a problem getting shade?

Finally I guess we will have to book later ala carte times and are u booking via the Bahia App or via the concierge?

Thanks for answering my questions. It’s getting us ready for our upcoming trip.

Gracias Steve

TORONTO
Level Contributor
80 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Not at full capacity, plenty of seating and shade options as you know since the resort is so spread out and offers many options for beach and pools. There were a few times at buffet, where it seemed crowded but that was because of peak times.

Restaurants...hmm, as others have said in their reviews booking is real pain. The app is completely useless, there’s never availability. We tipped our butler the first day and told him we would like to try each restaurant at least once. Later that evening he slipped 4 reservations under our door. However that turned out pretty useless as well as they were all for 6 / 6:30 time frame and we do not eat that early. Tried to change it with guest relations but no avail. We did find a way around it though although so far Don Pablo was ok and Portofino a disaster so not sure its worth the effort. I’ll pm you

Edited: 04 July 2018, 06:22
Reply to: Proposed work at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samana Province