We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

Now I know that these resorts are different but I am stuck and can't really decide. I am looking at Secrets Wild Orchid, Couples Sans Souci or Sandals Montego Bay. We are going May 2011, what is important to me is a nice room (doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal-just not dirty/gross) with a great view, decent beach for laying around on (not long necessarily long walks) au naturale would be great, good food (hubby is a definite foodie), hubby also wants plenty to do as far as excursions that are onsite (so he doesn't have to board a bus or taxi everyday) and not feeling crowded. I don't really want to go to a place where there are 2,000 other people there or I would just cruise again. I want most of all, grteat service and staff. Thanks in advance for any posts.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

Either will do just fine :-}

I suggest Sandal Negril or Couples swept away out of the many both own

Edited: 25 March 2010, 00:09
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

I agree with TR, I would suggest Sandals Negril or Couples (either CSA or CN). My favorite is Couples Negril, but you have better beach front with CSA.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

I disagree about beach front...Couples Negril to me is much better than CSA. If you want A/N, then CN would be your choice.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

but that is my opinion, lol. I'm a bit CN biased! :)

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

Ok,, because I was thinking, what's there to really disagree regarding beach front ?

CSA is nearly a 1/4 mile long & CN is only a few hundred feet ?

Other then that the other difference is CSA is in a more busier section of Long bay & CN is in the more sleepy Bloody bay

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

mhwhetsell...your question included Sandals Montego Bay...not sure if you had a specific reason for picking that one over say Sandals Negril? But if it is SMB you are considering, it does fit the bill for everything you are looking for. Though it doesn't have an A/N beach, you have full exchange privileges with Sandals Carlyle Inn and Sandals Royal Caribbean...SRC has an offshore island with an A/N beach.

The advantage to resorts in Montego Bay is that they are close to the airport so you aren't faced with a long drive after you land. The disadvantage (to some), is that at SMB, you are at the end of the runway and the noise of the planes might be bothersome. We vacationed at SRC and spent time at SMB...the planes are loud but didn't bother us.

SRC might also be an option for you...the planes flying overhead are higher, therefore not as loud. SRC is a quieter resort than SMB and though it does not have a great beach for walking, it is great for laying out and you have the offshore island (with the A/N side) as well. We also found the food and service to be excellent!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

If your staying in Negril your only option is Couples or Sandals.

If your are looking for a nice property without worrying about if it is run down and falling apart I always look at the built date. Usually available on travel websites. Use those sites and check out Everything.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

I could not recommend Sandals Montego Bay to anyone (sorry Travelpair)...it's litterally right beside the runway of the airport. Lots of other hotels to choose from. IMO

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

For great staff, freat food, great beach, au naturale, a lot of things to do (onsite - scuba, hobie cats, catamarn cruise, snorkeling, bocci ball, volleyball) and clean rooms - Couples Negril

Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets vs. Couples vs. Sandals

Thanks everyone, we are leaning more toward Couples (Sans Souci or Negril probably). I have heard about the airport issue from others and that worries me about SMB but I don't know much about the Secrets properties.