We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

Just returned from Jamaica and found out I have been charged $686 US dollars by Island Rental Cars at Kingston airport to replace a cracked windshield on a rental car. I was told (not provided any documentation or explanation) that it cost them $50,000 Jamaican dollars. Does anyone know if that is an accurate cost for replacing a windshield on a Toyota Corolla? Any ideas on what I can do to challenge this charge?

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

Maybe call a toyota dealership in JA and request a quote for a new windshield, if you know the vehicle model. The rental agency may have purchased a cheaper used windshiled from a parts trader, no way to tell though. You might be able to do a web search for a toyota dealership in Kingston, there will be very many.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

my husband said if it's a newer model it should be in the 30,000 range for the glass and labour... sounds like you were overcharged some...

He suggests calling your credit card company and disputing the charges...

Chelle

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

Yet another reason why I wouldn't consider renting a car in JA

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

How did you crack the windshield?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

Best time to deal with that is before you return the car. We got a minor scrape/paint on a rental once and got it repaired before we returned it. I think it cost us $10 US. I say this just in case others who are planning to rent happen to read this thread.

I'm not sure there's much you can do after the fact, with you at home and they down there....but good luck.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

lots of cash money!

free here...not there! anything with a car is very costly! You can try to despute it but I'm sure even if they charged $400US it would still seem outrageous!!!!

You should also check at what rate did they charge you?

Oliz-great to point that out for anyone else renting!

PEACE!

7. Re: How much does it cost to replace a windshield in Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 06:18