We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Hello,

I have been to Jamaica a few times, and have ALWAYS felt very safe. The people in Jamaica are the most inviting and friendly. We are considering visiting the eastern part of the Island (Kingston, Blue Mountains...) and a few people have told me to avoid Kingston. How accurate are they and is it that unsafe?

My boyfriend and I would prefer to have a vacation that is non-touristy and really see the true Jamaica. Do you have advice on the best Blue Mountain tours/hikes? Any other places we should visit? Thanks for your advice.

J&E

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
345 Reviews
Jamaica
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Bet the advisors have never been to Kingston. Check out Serendipity for a different mountain stay. See Strawberry Hill even if you don't stay. Go to the Dub Club on a Sunday night. You might be the only tourist. The Kingston market is huge, hot and fascinating. Good to Lime Cay for a picnic. Be street smart and quit listening to those who never venture out.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Strawberry Hill
Strawberry Hill
385 Reviews
Jamaica
Lime Cay
Lime Cay
53 Reviews
Jamaica
Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

The crime rate in Kingston is lower than in Mobay or Negril. People who tell you to avoid Kingston for safety either have no clue, or have something to gain by keeping you to their side of the island (and on the resort).

Dub club is one of the best events in Kingston, along with Dubwise Wednesday. There are usually also concerts and events in addition to the weekly dances and dub parties. Check the entertainment section of the Friday Gleaner.

For simpler hikes, there are some very nice trails around the Holywell Recreation area, and they can provide a guide if you would like, though the trails are pretty easy to follow.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Holywell Park
Holywell Park
73 Reviews
Jamaica
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

There are areas of Kingston that are not safe - Just as there are areas of any city that are not safe - I would suggest Raf Jam bed and breakfast in the blue mountains - Here is their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/rafjam.bed?ref=ts

Have you thought about Portland?

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Thank you all- very helpful. I am going to look into all of these.

I read some good things about Port Antonio. Think we will also try to do the long hike to the top of the Blue Mts.

Mentioned in this post
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,456 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Portland - Blues - Kingston can be a great trip. You can do the big Blues climb or just little day hikes form a home base in Porty or Kingston, or spend the night there at Raf Jam or Prince Valley or Strawberry Hill or a number of other spots. Whitfield Hall puts you nearest for the big climb, I believe.

Most tourists to Kingston stay uptown which I found perfectly comfortable to walk around by myself (if rather hot :)). I got a lot less attention than I do in Negril, in fact, people basically ignored me as they went about their business, but i had no trouble asking people where I could get breakfast that was open at that hour, or where a particular street was, people were helpful.

Porty has some breathtaking beaches and waterfalls and rivers and a cool sort of vibe, fading grandeur sort of, that is very cool.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Strawberry Hill
Strawberry Hill
385 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

Strawberry Hill has breathtaking views overlooking Kingston. I would recommend going there for dinner one night, go early to check out the hotel grounds and views of the Blue Mountains in daylight and stay to watch the sunset over Kingston. If you are interested, I would also recommend going to Old Tavern Coffee Estate for coffee tasting and hiking around the estate. This is a small operation, you can see the coffee beans being hand sorted and hand roasted, and hike around the property.

Mentioned in this post
Strawberry Hill
Strawberry Hill
385 Reviews
Jamaica
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
345 Reviews
Jamaica
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

jamesandelliott,

Lots of good advice in the above posts. If you want to make the most of your stay in Kingston, I would get in touch with Karen Hutchinson of "Jamaica Cultural Enterprises". Tell her what your main interests are and she will arrange a customised tour for you - or even several tours if you like. She is extremely knowledgeable about Jamaica in general and Kingston in particular, and a lovely lady as well. You can find her details by clicking on "Kingston Attractions" in the top left hand corner of this page.

Coronation Market is definitely worth a visit, but it can be a little overwhelming if you're on your own, so it's best to go with someone who knows exactly where they're going. You could easily spend an entire day at the market, there's so much to see.

Strawberry Hill is also worth a visit, even if you don't intend staying there as a guest. Arrive in the late afternoon and watch the sun set over Kingston below. I haven't eaten there, so I can't vouch for the food, but their rum punch is out of this world.

Kingston got a bad reputation for crime in the 1970s and 80s, but it's much safer now and as other posters have indicated, it's a lot safer than Montego Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Jamaica Cultural Enterprises
Jamaica Cultural...
163 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Strawberry Hill
Strawberry Hill
385 Reviews
Jamaica
8. Re: Kingston/Blue Mt Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2016, 12:19