We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

glasgow
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

Arrive into Kingston early evening on a friday in November and are going to Negril - we thought after a 14hr journey so far from Scotland going straight to Negril may be too much - is a night in Kingston recommended? If so which bars are good to go to for a wee bit of night life?

Thinking about staying at the Liguanea but am open to other suggestions - is there decent bars in this area? I think Scotchies is close to there - that good for drinks as well as food or just food?

Any other recommendations for Kingston?

Been looking into a transfer to Negril - seems pretty pricey one company says $280 on their website and another $350 for private transfers. There are just two of us and would like to get there as quick as possible - not sure what other options there are?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

United States
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

"Been looking into a transfer to Negril - seems pretty pricey one company says $280 on their website and another $350 for private transfers"

All transfer companies will quote you the rate for a private transfer as that is all they offer. A charge of around $US275, one way, (double that amount for round trip transfers) is about right for a group of 2 people.

"There are just two of us and would like to get there as quick as possible"

By road the transfer will take a bit under 5 hours one way. If you want to get there as quickly as possible then you should contact TimAir, a charter airline. They will fly you from Kingston to Negril in about 40 min. The only problem is that you "Arrive into Kingston early evening". The airport in Negril is not open after dark (no night landings are allowed in Negril). You will also need a taxi from the Negril airport to your hotel in Negril.

"not sure what other options there are?"

If you stay at the Liguanea then you will be just a short walk from the drop off/pick up point for the Knutsford Express. This public bus service will wisk you to Negril in about 5 hr. where you can find a taxi to take you to your Negril hotel. See the following to check out their twice a day departure from Kingston directly to Negril.

www.knutsfordexpress.com/Schedule/Index

Your final option is to contact Captain John's Island Hoppers. This helicopter service will get you there in about an hour. Depending on your hotel they may be able to take you directly to your Negril hotel and land on the grounds of your hotel. Again, no night landings in Negril are allowed.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

Knutsford is a comfy ride, I'd do that. Leaves from uptown Kingston and drops you on the beach road in Negril, with lovely views along the way, About $50US for you both.

In town....Red Bones is a cool blues club with restaurant, bar, live music, indoor-outdoor seating. Jojo's has drinks and food (jerk mostly), neat spot in a courtyard behind a market (all same owner). Those, and the pub at the Mayfair Hotel are the only (public) places I've gone out to have drinks in Kingston and I enjoyed them all.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,332 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

The Knutsford depot in Negril is located in the parking lot for Time Square Mall, more or less a mile north of the Negril roundabout.

Knutsford is a private commercial endeavor (i.e., not owned by the government) which is probably why is it so good and inexpensive.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

Unless it moved in the last year it's across the street from Time Square, between Bar B Barn and Kuyaba.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,332 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

Their website says it is in the parking lot across from Time Square Mall, which could match your description.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

I miss Air Jamaica, when you could fly between Kingston and Montego Bay airports for cheap, and a quick half an hour journey.

Katiemitch, the knutsford express would be the way to go inexpensively. It's a fully AC, comfortable coach, like the tour coaches we get in the UK. You will be comfortable while travelling, and get to see some of the Jamaican countryside.

I won't advise you on the night scene in Kingston, as I have only done the dancehall scene there, and as its new to you, leave that for another trip.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

I stayed at Bar B Barn last year and took the Knutsford to Kingston so yes, it's in the parking lot next door. They have an office in a trailer where you buy your ticket, I think it has AC. Actually I bought my ticket there but went from Sav la Mar because it was a shorter trip(south coast route to Kingston instead of north), but i think you can go that way from Negril now too.

8. Re: Best bars/night out? Transfer to Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2016, 13:18