We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Hi, I’ve scoured the posts and I have an idea of the differences between these two hotels but I’m looking to find out which hotel has the more luxurious rooms? The Hyatt rooms look more like our style. The Iberostar (at least in pics) look a little outdated. Am I wrong? I also don’t know if it’s worth it to give up the better beach at Iberostar. Anyone been to both and could give us input?

Background:

My husband and I (38) are taking a quick impromptu trip (3-4 nights) and leaving our 9 and 4 year olds behind (first time). We usually don’t do AI but figured it would be the best option to give us the R&R we need. We narrowed it down to these two hotels (because adult-only, close to airport, umbrellas available, food). I know people don’t isually spend much time in theirs rooms but we figure first time without kids we are using the heck out of our room and taking naps. ; )

Club Mobay: Sangster Airport VIP...
605 Reviews
US$30 per adult
Free Cancellation
Blue Hole, Secret Falls and Dunn's...
27 Reviews
US$121 per adult
Free Cancellation
Zipline, Tubing and ATV Safari...
61 Reviews
US$185 per adult
Free Cancellation
9 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Excuse the typos. Using my phone.

*usually

*their

HOLLANDLANDING
Level Contributor
123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Zilara is bright and modern rooms. The iberostar is heavy drapes and dark wood. Both have amazing soaking tubs and walk in showers. Both have great food and pools, wonderful staff.

Beach sand is nice at both.

Water is rocky and to me not swimable at the zilara. Iberostar has way better swimming and longer beach.

However if your staying in the room a lot. I would pick a swim out at the Zilara

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

The Zilara is a section of a family resort and most of the dining options are in the family section.

The Grand, while being one of three resorts in the complex, does better focus on the adult experience that you seem to be seeking. The beach at the Grand, while man made (as is the one at the Zilara), is better than the rocky beach at the Zilara.

My choice, of the two, would be the Grand.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Would like to point out that folks staying at the Zara side (the family side) that are over 18 can use some facilities at the Zilara (pool, bars, some eateries). This is not the case at the Grand.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
513 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

We were at the Zilara this past Feb. and also stayed at the "Grand" seven years ago. We would go back to either. Both properties were great. Some things may have changed at the "Grand" since our stay but as we remember, the "Grand" had small bottles of liquor in the room refrigerator and the Zilara did not do that. The Zilara does not require reservations at any of the restaurants but the "Grand" did. The Zilara had two very nice work out buildings with lots of equipment to use. During our stay at the "Grand", they had two rounds of golf included at the Cinnamon Hill course, but with some extra cost for the caddie. The "Grand" has a much better beach. This beach is longer as well. We felt the food was better at the Zilara. The evening entertainment at the Zilara is outside at the stage on the Ziva side and the "Grand" entertainment is inside their theater. We had no problem at the Zilara walking to the restaurants located on the Ziva side. Nor did we have issue at the Zilara with others who were staying at the Ziva side coming over to the Zilara for the day. The service at the pool and anywhere at the Zilara was over the top. I would not get very excited about the swim out rooms at the Zilara since they seemed to be in the shade most of the day. The swim out rooms at the "Grand" just do not make sense due to their location on the far west side of the building with no view. So, it may come down to which of these two resorts has the better price for your stay.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

The family resort in the Hyatt Brand is Ziva, not Zara. Hedo, which of the two had better food, in your opinion?

Edited: 19 June 2018, 20:19
Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Thanks for the correction; mind thinks faster than my fingers sometimes.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

The one thing to watch out for at the Grand is apparently they have been heavily pushing the "Club" which is seems to be a "timeshare-esque" add on. I have researched and for the life of me I cannot find out what the added benefit would be. So, be prepared to "just say no" to the pushy time club folks.

That aside, we have stayed next door a few times at Iberostar Rose Hall suites and loved it. The staff, food and drinks are amazing. The entry level rooms at Suites are huge, so I would imagine the grand's would onl be better.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Iberostar Rose Hall...
4,713 Reviews
Jamaica
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara

Thank you everyone. We decided to go with the Grand. I'll write a trip review when we return.

Reply to: Iberostar Grand Rose or Hyatt Zilhara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted