We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breathless Montego Bay / Safety

1 post
Save Topic
Breathless Montego Bay / Safety

My fiancee and I are considering a trip to the Breathless Montego Bay resort in late November for our honeymoon. I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the danger in the Montego Bay area and Jamaica as a whole from our friends and family.

If we choose this resort we'd like to spend at least one or two days doing a tour or some other activity off the resort. Does anyone have an opinion about the area?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Breathless Montego Bay...
763 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
1 reply
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breathless Montego Bay / Safety

Where are you hearing about the complaints from? Have your friends and family visited there recently?

It's as safe as it can be, no more dangerous for tourists than most other holiday destinations, in fact, less dangerous than say Mexico at the moment. Major crime is predominantly between Jamaicans and not aimed at tourists. Yes, you get petty crime - pick pockets etc, but no more than you'd get at home. Whilst I'd never declare Jamaica as being 100% safe, I wouldn't declare that for anywhere.

There is currently one military check point just outside of Montego Bay, but not affecting anyone. It's still safe to go out on tours and to walk around the area, just using normal common sense and precautions.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Reply to: Breathless Montego Bay / Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted