We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extras at SGOR

South Carolina
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Extras at SGOR

Just wondering how you pay for things on the resort for example the gift shop, pictures and excursions....do you have the option to pay with cash or do they charge everything to your room until you check-out? I just wasn't sure what their policy is?

Thanks, Cassie

minnesota
Level Contributor
225 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extras at SGOR

My travel agent told me that sgor is a cashless resort, meaning you cannot use cash. She said everything is charged to your room and you get charged a the end. So if she is correct that is how it works!

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Extras at SGOR

You give a credit card when you first arrive that they will use for charges. If you do not want to use a credit card you can put cash down for your purchases also. You must give them some sort of payment when you get there for charges.

Hope this helps.

Mauri

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Extras at SGOR

You might want to do what we did when we stayed at SRC. I'm sure it is the same at all Sandals, but they sit you down on comfy couches away from the reception desk and have you fill out your forms. They then ask for your credit card and take it out of your sight to record it. It was at this point that we said no (politely) that we didn't want to do that. It was no big deal to them. A couple of days later when we did want to purchase from the Gift Shop, I went to the desk with my card and stood there while the lady swiped the card - it never left my sight.

I had told my credit card company that we were going to Jamaica and the only authorized purchase for this card would be on the day of departure.

SRC had some reports of cards being copied and used after visitors had left. We haven't had any problem at all.

It's not just Jamaica, it's buyer beware out there ANYWHERE now. My daughter had this happen to her right here in our home town this past week! Don't EVER let your credit cards out of your sight - that's it, that's all.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Baxter Springs...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extras at SGOR

When we went, we put a credit card # on file (one with a very low limit just in case) and actully put a cash deposit on our room charge, then we got whatever we didn't use back when we checked out. It actually worked out better than I thought it would and we had no problems.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extras at SGOR

We also were given a credit type card to use that billed all things to our room. Small things like in the gift shop we did not use the card but paid cash when we bought it. Larger amounts like our photos we used the card then paid cash when we checked out.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extras at SGOR

Not too sure how long ago MMtraveler was there, but ALL Sandals/Beaches resorts have gone "cashless". You cannot pay cash at any on property venue at all. You will need to give a deposit of some sort at check-in (cash or a credit card imprint) to cover any charges made during your stay. This would include photo shop, gift shops, spa, tours, cabana rental, candle light dinner, etc....

Everything is charged to the room and settled at check out, at which time you can pay cash or keep the charges on the credit card, your choice.

Hope this helps.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extras at SGOR

We were there last June mid month. Guess it has changed already but that does not surprise me cabanas were free when we were there last year too.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extras at SGOR

Ive been there twice. NEVER been told you can use cash. If you charge things to your room you have to have a credit card on file with $300 on it. They automatically charge the $300 to your card...so be prepared. At least this is what they did to us in August 2006. You dont have to put the card on file, but then you cant use the phone in your room. Also you cant charge things to your room.

This is what we did.

We put the $300 on file. Which stunk because that was one of our credit cards for spending money. We always used our debit card/credit card (atm card) to purchase items at the gift shop. I think we only charged it the room once or twice. We bought pictures on our last day, we charged that to our room...since we already knew that there was $300 to use if we wanted to. So...those are the only things we charged to the room. The rest we used cash or our credit card.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extras at SGOR

We did have to let them hold a copy of a credit card but we did not charge anything to it. You had me start to wonder if maybe I remembered wrong so (I am a pack rat) I went and pulled out my receipts from last year. The hotel bill say "Posting: US Cash Payment" and the gift shop "US Cash Tendered" I also received change there 2.00 and it was in US money. I kept the receipts to make sure they did not show up on my CC and was my proof I paid cash.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extras at SGOR

MM...

I know that they charged the money, or at least put a hold on the money or something because our credit limit was very low on that card....$500 I think, and we had already spent about $200 on it before coming to Jamaica....and when my husband and I wanted to buy a blue diamond with the card, it was denied. So...they wouldnt let us spend that $300 on the card. So, I dunno. Maybe its different for each person? Who knows!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean