We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP please???

Greentown Pa.
8 posts
Save Topic
HELP please???

I'm looking for some advice. Who and how much tipping to you do. I 'm trying to figure out how much cash to carry with me on my trip.

9 days left !!!! Can't wait, its our first trip to Jamaica. We are traveling with 2 other couples. Can someone please HELP

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
miami, fl
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP please???

Where are you staying?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
621 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP please???

There's a couple answers on your other thread

Greentown Pa.
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP please???

We are staying at Sandals on the oceanfront. I hear its not quite as nice as the Manor side, but we really want a balony on the ocean. We will definitly visit the pool on the manor side, it looks great.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP please???

You will need money to tip the bus that takes your from the airport to the hotel and back. If you do any thing outside the resort you will need tips for guides, cabs, things like that. At the resort you are asked not to tip and some employees will totally refuse even if offered but if someone does something you feel you should tip you can discreetly offer. So it really depends on how much you intend to do off the resort property, and how long you are staying.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP please???

For tipping, follow your heart.

I tend to overtip, mostly because I am aware that life local life in Jamaica is difficult financially. Sometimes I don't negotiate as much with vendors beacuse of this, and, I have a decent job in the US.

Resort staff income is generally about $2/HR US, and you will see that they work 6 days, 12-16 hour days at that.

You will also notice they never complain and go about their work with a smile on their face!

Personally (as tipping should be a personal choice), I try to leave something for the maids daily, or every other day - a few bills or some bath & body products just for them.

The bartenders will remember you if you start out by slipping them a nice bill on your first day. During your stay, no doubt you will find that he/she will learn your name and you will develop a fun rapport...

Tip as you choose after that.

If you use the water sports - those guys are working hard as well so remember them too.

If you decide to tip at the AI, fold up your tip in a small square, reach out your handshake to theirs and they will be very thankful.

Try to make sure managers aren't around.

This is my personal view....

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Greentown Pa.
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP please???

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful. So I'll make sure I take plenty ones, fives, and tens,also some little gifts. I really like the idea of the gifts. I just picked up some nail polishs. Now I think I'll take a trip to Bath & Body. 8 days left!!!!!

miami, fl
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP please???

my2bulldogs,

Make sure you are careful when tipping on the resort grounds- I hear the employees get fired if they accept your tips. We just welcomed them a few steps inside our room and slipped them a few dollars. No harm done! By the way the manor pool is great. that is where we spent our entire vacation.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP please???

Dont tip at Sandals. Employees will get fired if they recieve tips. If you feel you MUST tip be descrete. Ive never tipped for fear of them losing their jobs. I have seen people tip and the bar tenders being VERY leary about taking the money...looking around to see if anyone saw it, etc.

The best way to express your appreciation is through "Gifts"....leave them some school supplies for their children or something personal like lotion or something. Make sure you mark it as a "Gift" or they will not take it.

People at Sandals are paid pretty well. Ive seen them wearing Rolex watches and such. But the maids are not paid as much and they have less money and transportation to places to buy school supplies for their children. So that is what i suggest.

Greentown Pa.
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP please???

Okey, I got gifts, lotions, polish, candels ,pens. I think that should do. I don't know about the bartenders though. I don't think they would appreciate any of that stuff. I'll have to give them some thought. Any ideas?

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP please???

Quote:

"Don't tip...The best way to express your appreciation is through "Gifts"....leave them some school supplies for their children or something personal like lotion or something. Make sure you mark it as a "Gift" or they will not take it.

People at Sandals are paid pretty well. Ive seen them wearing Rolex watches and such. But the maids are not paid as much and they have less money and transportation to places to buy school supplies for their children. So that is what i suggest."

No offense but I completely disagree. First, the staff at Sandals get paid PATHETIC wages, and those wearing expensive jewelry likely got it as a "tip" or from some form of side dealings. The vast majority of the staff are MOST DEFINATELY NOT PAID PRETTY WELL.

I also disagree with the suggestion to NOT give CASH as your gifts to staff... As long as you make yourself clear to the management you can be sure to not get anyone in trouble. NO ONE should ever be allowed to impede you of your right to give freely to another human being as you see fit...

Blessings and respect.

Steve