We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First tropical vacay

6 posts
Save Topic
First tropical vacay

We setted on Negril Jamaica with our 15 and 17 year olds now trying to decide on an all-inclusive to suit us. Wanting a bigger resort to keep us busy. Is Beaches one of the most expensive??? The websites are confusing me. What others are comparible to Beaches? We are planning on early June next year, so lots of time to find the perfect fit for us. Definitely want to do some snorkeling and other water activities.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
14 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First tropical vacay

Beaches is top of the line but also check out Royalton Negril. If you consider Runaway Bay check out Jewel Runaway Bay.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 08:12
Mentioned in this post
Royalton Negril
Royalton Negril
1,527 Reviews
Jamaica
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach...
2,863 Reviews
Jamaica
New York
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First tropical vacay

Beaches is expensive. Check out the resorts in Bloody Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
892 Reviews
Jamaica
United States
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First tropical vacay

"Is Beaches one of the most expensive???"

Correct.

" What others are comparible to Beaches?"

Nothing in Negril. Beaches is aimed at families with children 12 and under.

Try looking at the RIU Palace Tropical Bay and the Azul Sensatori Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Hotel Riu Palace...
5,712 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
lake geneva
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First tropical vacay

Riu Palace is nice but your kids may be more entertained at the Club Riu for their ages.

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
72 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First tropical vacay

The beach at Beaches will, by far, be better than the Royalton. Make sure you check out other tourists photos and reviews. We have never stayed at either place but we go frequently to Couples Negril and The Royalton is next door. Also if you are considering the Riu properties, I don’t think they would be comparable to Beaches. We’ve heard the food is not as good as Couples Negril. We were trying to find a place to take our granddaughter so we have been asking questions as well. Unfortunately, Beaches is out of our budget.

Mentioned in this post
Royalton Negril
Royalton Negril
1,527 Reviews
Jamaica
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
4,547 Reviews
Jamaica
roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First tropical vacay

Keep in mind there are tons of properties in Negril that are not a i that would suit your family. I wouldn't waste money on Beaches Negril for older teenagers. Unless you're looking for a themed water park to keep them busy there are plenty of things in Negril with a few days of fun excursions.

Stand up boards, para sailing, glass bottom boat and snorkeling, beach volleyball, Long Beach walks floating on a raft, live music are all accessible along the beach. The cliffs are a quick taxi away fun to explore see the lighthouse have lunch and snorkel attics Xtabi, see the cliff divers at Rick.

Fun family excursions include 20-minute ride to the blue hole which they will love jumping in spring hole in the Hills you can also climb into and sea divers, or swim in the spring pump pool they also have activities a bar in a restaurant. Then head down the hill to the quaint fishing Village of Little Bay- roaming goats and friendly people. You can also check out the speedway in Little Bay which offers zip lining and other activities.

A great journey through the countryside to YS Falls which has levels of Falls to jump in swim or just view beautiful foliage and Lush grounds a river rock pool and a zipline over the falls. You could combine with an Appleton rum tour and or head to Pelican bar Black River which is a restaurant bar on a sand barge in the middle of the sea.

If interested in this type of a vacation over what a mega Resort can offer take a look at Treehouse, Skylak, cocolapalm, idle awhile Villas , Crystal Water Villas and if you want the comfort of an AI that may be affordable enough to still enjoy a few meals out in some of the grills great restaurants checkout Grand Pineapple.

PEACE!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort...
5,596 Reviews
Jamaica
Rick's Cafe
Rick's Cafe
4,233 Reviews
Jamaica
YS Falls
YS Falls
1,772 Reviews
Jamaica
Pelican Bar
Pelican Bar
296 Reviews
Jamaica
Black River
Black River
364 Reviews
Jamaica
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First tropical vacay

This is so helpful! Thank you! I know all of those excursions would make the kids so happy! I am, however, so afraid NOT to do an AI with this being our first time, having no idea what meals would cost or what we would like as far as Jamaican food! I am the planner in the family, which I am fine doing leading up to our trip, but once we get there, hope to relax for once, lol!!! Good thing there is plenty of time to plan!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First tropical vacay

For a first-timer, an AI is a good choice. They're easy and everything is taken care of. I also would recommend checking into the Riu properties. Rius are nice, mid-level resorts - good for first-timers with families. Of the two in Negril, the Riu Palace is definitely nicer (way nicer beach), but it is pretty laid back and tends to draw fewer families. The Riu Negril tends to have more families and is more active. While the beach there isn't as nice, the pool is much nicer. It's a bigger resort and has a fair amount of activities going on, though not a whole lot specifically for kids.

For what you'd save over Beaches, you'd have lots of money to do tons of excursions. I'd highly recommend all of the ones bushgrl lists. You can arrange excursions at the desk at the resort, or you can do them using a private driver. The advantage to group tours arranged at the desk is being with a busload of other tourists to interact with. The advantage to a private driver is you can go wherever you want whenever you want and not be tied to a group tour itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Hotel Riu Negril
Hotel Riu Negril
5,936 Reviews
Jamaica
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First tropical vacay

From what I read, Negril is the best place to stay for the prettiest beach, but that blue hole, ziplining, snorkeling is right up our alley! Would it make more sense to stay in another area if we plan to so a lot of those activities?

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First tropical vacay

The blue hole excursion is about 20 min away, snorkeling you can do in negril so I would not look at staying elsewhere. We also travel with teens and our family loves Negril, we do not to excursions everyday but when we do we find the drive to our activity is part of experience. We find a local spot to eat on the way back or stop off for some roadside snacks, we also might get the driver to stop at a secluded spot for a quick dip and ask for recommendations on the sites, last trip we ended up in a residential area at a nice mans house who was a fabulous artist and had a house full of paintings for excellent prices. Negril for us is the only place to stay in that part of Jamaica but its all what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Reply to: First tropical vacay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;