We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Suntan lotion

Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Best Suntan lotion

I could care less about getting a tan (I am black), but I am pretty light skinned and don't want to burn up.

I sweat pretty heavy and plan on doing a lot of water activities...so what is the best type that won't come off with sweat or water?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Suntan lotion

Coppertone has a slew of different types of sunblocks. Check it out www.coppertone.com

I only use this brand of sunblock, easy to apply and I never burn ( I am light skinned also) They have an "ultra sweatproof" one as well.

For my face I used Neutrogena sunblock stick, it is the best! It's not greasy and lasts.

Happy Hunting!

nebraska
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Suntan lotion

i love bull frog, it is a bit expensive, but works great for water and sweat.

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Suntan lotion

I burn easily so I have to make quite a large investment in suntan lotion for vacation. I'm ususally tan just near the end of our trip and then it's gone within a week. I like the new fast-dry spray that's available so you don't have any mess with lotions - just spray and go.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Suntan lotion

I purchased two things of Coppertone SPF50 Continuous Spray. It claims to be sweatproof, waterproof, etc. I like the idea that the cap is shrink-wrapped (figured it would be good for travel).

Last thing I'd want is to spend the week in agony w/ a nasty burn...wouldn't make for a fun trip!

Naomi :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Suntan lotion

Ok, thanks!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Suntan lotion

Banana Boat Sport. I wore this while I was there and I wear it here at home (I live in Arizona). Stands up great to sweat and water. As with any sunblock though, if you are in the water for a great length of time you will have to reapply, but this stuff held up even while were were snorkeling.

CA
Level Contributor
232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Suntan lotion

I am fair and have tried just about everything. A few years back, I tried Water Babies. It's in a pink bottle. It is THE best. I don't burn, but get gradual color. I love it. My husband and son are hispanic, and my best friend, who is also black, tried it loved it.

You can usually find it pretty well priced at Costco, Target, Wal-mart...

It is the one I suggested to my entire family for our upcoming Negril trip. I am not a fan of the spray on aerosol type, Coppertone Sport doesn't seem to give the protection that the Water Babies does, imo.

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
milos, greece
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Suntan lotion

Bravo Anod1

When I first read this post I really wanted to reccommend Bannana Boat Sport, but for the life of me couldnt remember its name. We bought it on another Caribbean island, so it is obviously easily available in that part of the world.

It really stands up to all day (with reapplication) sweating, swimming, sweating, swimming, sweating a bit more, and lets go snorkelling coz man Im sweating!! Had some left over and bought it back to Greece, soon got used up here as my daughter windsurfs here, and never burnt with that stuff! Deffinately going to buy some more if they have it Jamaica.

Goes on a bit like Axel Grease tho!

x

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Suntan lotion

I really like the Aveeno sun blocks....never seem to burn when I use them.

Turtle

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Suntan lotion

I really like Banana Boat Sport and Australian Gold Waterproof, used them on our cruise last year and they were wonderful. The Australain Gold was not as greasy as the other.

Do not use Bath and Body Works Sunscreen! We bought it right before our trip, at SPF 50. Used it the first day, and DH was burned horribly within an hour. It was supposed to be sweat and waterproof, but proved not to be!