We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Text Messages

Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Text Messages

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I don't feel like being charged a billion dollars for roaming & don't really need a calling card, I just wanted to know if you could text back to the states to let family know we made it safely.

Can you & if so are there any extra fees?

Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
Level Contributor
593 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Text Messages

Rkeezie,

I have Verizon and I could text for .50 each, was cheaper than a phone call for a quick message.

Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Text Messages

Thanks. What about the other carriers?

BERKSHIRE
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Text Messages

Don't know about the states but we e-mailed home to the uk just fine.we are on Vodafone.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Text Messages

I, too, must let family know I have arrived safely and my mother still insists on a daily "check-in" text. I have AT & T and it is .50 per text. However, I just called yesterday because I got a new phone a few months ago and wanted to confirm rates. The rep told me that because I now have a text package my incoming texts from the states were included in my package and only my outgoing texts would be .50 each. Hope that helps.

Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Text Messages

I used my cingular/att phone from Negril last November. I have a basic text package and most of my texting was free, but I did have 5 text messages that had extra charges, for a total of $2.80. These charges came under a heading of "Roaming Data" and may have been picture or video related, but I don't recall.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Text Messages

Ok thank you everybody!!!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Text Messages

Does anyone out there know/have Alltel? I called Alltel twice; first person said in Montego Bay and surrounding areas they have towers and texting was free, although phone calls were not. Second time I called (just to double check), I was told they have no towers there, but that texting would still be free, but phone calls would cost out the ying-yang. Can anyone who has Alltel tell me for sure? TIA

Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Text Messages

We forgot to call Verizon before we left to get international roaming, but still could get incoming calls and we could text, but we have unlimited text messages, so weren't even charged for the texting.

VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Text Messages

I am happy with my Alltel service. Calls were only $1 per minute. I tought that was quite reasonable. I don't think my text messages were anything more than normal.

10. Re: Text Messages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 22:18
;