We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

Suburbs of Philly
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

Hi Everyone,

I am literally driving myself (and my husband and friends) crazy trying to make a vacation decision for my family. Please help! We want to travel next Feb and have two kids (in Feb will be 4 and almost 2). We traveled a lot before our kids and enjoy cruises, upscale resorts (like JW Marriott) etc. With kids, I am not expecting the Ritz but want something decent. We also want a kids club for our 4 year old and would love something for our almost 2 year old too. In-room babysitting at night is a MUST since our kids don't do well late in other people's rooms, play areas, etc.

We can't decide between:

Beaches Boscobel -- looks nice, like the Sesame program, but I am very hesitant on the long travel days and time to the resort from the airport with the kids

FDR -- LOVE the nanny concept (LOVE IT!) but again, not sure about the long travel time. Also, will there be enough for DH and I to do when the kids are with the nanny?

FDR Pebbles -- again, LOVE the nanny concept but this place looks a bit campy. But then again, it is closer than Beaches and FDR. The pictures scare me a bit. (Though I do love nature and camping... just not sure I want to spend $5k to do it!)

Other things we are possibly considering: Rose Hall Country Club (anyone know anything about this place? We aren't sure about how kid friendly it is), Starfish (don't know much about this place, just quickly read about it on these boards), and we are still thinking of a Royal Caribbean Cruise. (We have never done an AI before...the cruise will be more money)

HELP! Please! Anyone? Thanks!

Jen

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

We just finished our 2nd trip to FDR and cannot wait to go back. In terms of activities, this time there were many more. I dive, so my mornings were occupied. The wife likes to sit by the pool. We played the games by the bar, snorkeled with the kiddo, played sand volleyball, and etc. Maybe we like to relax more than we like to be active.

My kid (now 7, but was 5 the first time) would rather go to the FDR than Disneyworld or Disneyland.

They have made a better walkway to get to the beach next door.

We had good massages when we first got there. That helped a lot.

The road was much better this time. Paved all the way.

We flew Northwest and had no complaints. It was the least expensive.

I take my family many times on business trips, but when we have a choice, we go to the FDR. We spent the week before at Boulder and stayed at the St. Julien. We would pick the FDR over that sort of stay any day.

ohio
Level Contributor
240 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

Hello...regarding the ride from the airport to Beaches Boscobel...we were just there in May and it took somewhere between an hour and a half and two hours. This was including a short stop about half way to the resort. The ride back to the airport took about an hour & 15 minutes for some reason...no stop was part of the reason(we didn't want one). I have not stayed at the other places you have asked about, but we did enjoy Boscobel. My children are older, so we did not utilize the kids camp. I am not aware that their is a nanny for use after kids camp hours. I thought it was a service that you pay extra for. But again...did not use, so I am not positive. There is plenty to do for adults at the resort. If you are looking for a very nice beach, Boscobel is not the place to go. Beach is small and is a bit rocky, though very small rocks, along the shore line. Some people like the small beach with its very shallow water for the little ones though. The photos on the Beaches site of the beach at Boscobel are deceiving...it does not look quite that nice and it is also hard to tell in those photos that the beach is 4 floors below the "main" level where the pool & water park is. Not a problem if you don't mind stairs...didn't bother us. There is also an elevator so it's not an issue really. Just wanted you to be aware that it is hard to tell in the Beaches photos. Wherever you go, you will have a fantastic time. I wish we could go back....miss it so much!!

MASS.
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

Hi,

Like christine, I am a huge FDR fan. We just came back from our 8th trip that and it was the best one yet!

The ride was about 45 minutes -1 hour - the highway makes a huge difference time wise but takes away from some of the scenery. - all in all an easy ride.

for a 4 and 2 year old you can not get any better personalized care than the nannies at FDR. They are like your au pair for the week and are excellent.

We love everything about the place. And they keep meaking improvements every year. If you read the review they all say how professional and personable the staff is - it's absolutely true. They make you feel like you are at home.

You can see plenty of pictures at my web site www.therustyeye.com and click on any of the jamaica links.

If you book , make sure to tell your travel agent to mention code cj01.

Let me know if you have any questions

Jeff

Suburbs of Philly
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

Hi Jeff, thanks for the info. Just curious, what does code cj01 do?

MASS.
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

It just tells the promotion department that we were talking to you about the resort

16. Re: Please help me select the best place: Beaches, FDR, or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 12:26