We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

Hi!

My husband as I will be celebrating our 5 yr. anniversary at BRB in 28 days!

I am trying to pack as lightly as possible - but I'm not sure exactly what I will need. We will be there 5 days and will probably spend most of our time in the water scuba diving and snorkeling or just sitting on the beach. So I'm thinking just swimsuits and sarongs or shorts for the days. My question is about dinner in the evenings... what will I need to pack for the various restaurant> Do I need pants, capris, skirts, or light dresses?? What about hubby? What do most people wear to dinner every night?

Also, I know the website says that tipping is included... but do most people tip anyways? Both hubby and I tend to be generous tippers so we feel funny about not tipping. Who should we be tipping, both at the resort and off?

Thanks!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

Your thoughts about the day are correct a few swimsuits and coverups and you are fine. Light dresses/sun dresses are fine for dinner and nice shorts are OK at the buffet.

For men, nice shorts and a collared shirt are acceptable at all but the Pastafari restaurant. Long pants and closed toe shoes are requested.

We tip the maid and bartenders at the resort, but we are very discreet since we don't want to get them in trouble. If we have the chance we tip the food service people, but again be discreet.

Tip your driver from the airport to the resort (he technically isn't a BRB employee, but a subcontractor). If you accept help with your bags (you can politely refuse) you should tip the red caps/porters. We usually just hang onto our bags and take them to the transfer ourselves.

BRB is a lot of fun. Try to participate in some activities and earn some Breezes Bucks to win free rum and coffee.

Enjoy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

Agree with MKA68.

I don't think most people tip. At least most of the folks we have talked to over the years. Like MKA, we tip, but you need to be very careful. You don't want to get the staff in trouble or fired. Fold up the bill and shake hands with the bartender. Tip the maid while she is in your room. We also tip the porter who carries our bags to the room.

Some staff will refuse your tip. I think some may have been set up by guests and reported. A small percentage will look for a tip. They don't get one from us. I don't think most of them last very long anyway.

I think the bottom line is that you do not have to tip. The staff does not expect it. I don't think it really gets you better service.

Talk to the staff. Ask about their family and lives. You will find them warm and friendly. Above all, treat them with respect and you will have a great time.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

I totally agree with the above two posters. I felt very strange with the notion of "tipping forbidden" as I am so used to tipping everyone who gives me service. I left a tip on the pillow every day for the maid, I tipped the bellman who brought my luggage and I discreetly tipped servers who took care of me.

maine
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

we just got back home yesterday! We tipped for luggage (our group of 13 had 7 golf bags plus suitcases and no elevators) I did not see any tipping except in spa and with golf. Some tipping was done for room cleaning.

we dressed for dinner (sun dresses, long pants/collared shirts) only at Pastafari. Musaman, the guys all wore shorts and collar shirts.

otherwise everyone was dressed very casual. The golfers went through alot of clothes, course was very warm. what the guys did was wear a shirt/shorts to dinner and then wore same shirt/shorts in the AM to golf to get double wear. Those of us in pool and on beach wore swim suits all day, coverups (not required) for breakfast/lunch and shorts or sundresses for dinner. wide range of dress to be honest. I overpacked but didn't golf, my mom, who golfed, wished she had brought more undergarmets. laundry is sent out, there is no place to dry soggy clothes

the staff there was excellent and very responsive to our needs and with polite requests and thank you's we had no problems.

We had a special needs traveler in our group and WOW was the staff great to her!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

deb,

Welcome Back...

Are you going to tell us about the time youo had? what was your favorite resturant? Was their towels? I want to hear more; i leave this Saturday morning! 4 more sleeps!

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
945 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

We were at BRB twice, the last time was last summer. We did tip - bartenders, wait staff, and please don't forget the dive staff if that is a part of your vacation! We got by with bathing suits and T-shirts during the day, and light sundress at night. Make sure you sign up for the activities like snorkel trip, glass bottom boat, carriage ride...they don't always tell you about those and the need to reserve.

Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

Thanks everyone! I love hearing about everyone's trips... It's making me so excited for ours!

8. Re: A couple of BRB questions... about packing and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 07:17