We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Bay polluted

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bio Bay polluted

There has been some Construction in Las Croabas and some dirty water ran into the Ocean by the entrance of the Nature Reserve. This polluted the Bio Bay. It will take a few day's before Nature takes care of itself and the water gets cleaned up. Right now there is NO GLOW what so ever

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Bio Bay polluted

There is nothing wrong with the Bio Bay in las Croabas you will be thrilled. Vieques is good also, but remember you have to go there and then spend the night in order to see it.

Ellis Puerto Rico

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Bio Bay polluted

It's only worth it if you spend a few days in Vieques. The island has some of PR's best unspoiled white sand beaches.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Bio Bay polluted

@EllisF One does not need to "spend the night in order to see" the biobay (Mosquito Bay) in Vieques. East Island Excursions offers a trip from Fajardo to Vieques (to the biobay) and then back to Fajardo in the same night. The part of the trip into the biobay is via electric pontoon boat. If one prefers to kayak in Mosquito Bay, then one would need to spend the night.

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Bio Bay polluted

Fine if you want to do it that way but I still say at this present time there is nothing wrong with the Bio Bay in Las Croabas

Ellis Puerto Rico

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Bio Bay polluted

My husband and I will be visiting next week and thought about doing the bio bay tour, but then discovered the article it went dark. What is the status of the bay today?

If the glow is back, what is the best tour company to use if staying in San Juan?

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Bio Bay polluted

IO Kayak tours. Talk to Julie 787 616 9594, 787 613 3928 The Glow is back.

Ellis Puerto Rico

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Bio Bay polluted

Thanks!

Do you know if they provide transportation?

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Bio Bay polluted

I know he has a van so maybe he does. Where are you staying

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Bio Bay polluted

Good News for those that have been following this story the past couple of weeks. When the problem started around Nov 8 there was a very large demonstration I am proud to say I was there also and signed the petition to stop the construction. The gate to the fenced in area around where the work and equipment is stored was padlocked by the many interested people in Las Croabas. The Gov't agreed to do a study. I was just in Las Croabas and found out that the project has been stopped and the land will be restored where the construction of the sewer treatment plant was to be which is near the entrance to the bay. The Gov't has agreed to seek another location. PEOPLE POWER CAN WORK.

Ellis Puerto Rico

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Bio Bay polluted

Just talked to Julie and she said the glow is back at 50%. Thanks for giving me her number.