We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia on a budget

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St Lucia on a budget

Hi , I am a syudent going to st. Lucia in June 2008 can anybody give me some money saving tips &? activities? also is anyone else going to st lucia around this time?

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia on a budget

red-i am planning a trip for late may into early june and i am also on a budget. I have a alot of advice but i don't want to tie up the forum with all our chit chat so i will send you a personal message.

Veneto, Italy
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia on a budget

Please PM as well if you don't mind, I will be budget traveling there in September.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia on a budget

Great question! Hope you will get lots of useful input in a forum other than "personal messages" so that others can benefit. One problem with planning my recent trip to SL was more limited TA forum advise compared with previous destinations.

If staying in Rodney Bay/Gros Islet/Castries area, great money saver is public transportation. We took the bus from RB to Castries for a day at the market for $2 EC per person, per trip. Compare this to our trip to the airport (Castries again), by taxi, costing $50 EC. Busses are filled with friendly locals who will help you find your way around.

We found restaurants to be cheaper overall when compared to similar US restaurants. A great way to keep food costs down is to eat at local food stands. Lunch at a stand at the Castries market cost us less than $5 US for two including drinks. There is also a "food court" at the Rodney Bay mall with very cheap local food.

As a waitress at one local restaurant told us, "be like a local, not a tourist".

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia on a budget

Doodah- maybe we don't want to give up ALL of our good secrets to the world because we are selfish and want to keep the real St lucia to ourselves.(LOL) I want to protect the hidden gems from tourist take over. Like i am not one of those tourists, I am. And in case it's not clear i'm Just kidding!!!

For all budget travelers

I told red angel to eat where the locals eat and i mentioned checking out some guesthouses instead of hotels or villas. Guesthouses are significantly cheaper and ususally more personalized. But that's for a certain type of traveler, one that doesn't care about the decor of their room. Also to save money you could go to local grocery store or vendor and cook for yourself or bring dry foods in your luggage like granola bars/breakfast bars etc. so you only have to eat out for dinner. I too mentioned taking the local mini buses for transportation. Pigeon island is a cheap attraction that could occupy a day worth of exploring, snokeling and lunch.

Hope this is useful to someone...

Miami
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia on a budget

While traveling between the islands with my husband and children we discovered an internet cafe in the town of Soufriere, where we inquired about accommodation. This is a great location just on the edge of the town and surrounded by natural woodland. The gardens are full of fruit trees, and the hosts are friendly and accommodating. We negotiated a discounted price of $65usd for a 2 bedroom apartment ypu should be able to get cheaper!. they have a link on stlucianet.com the children loved the grounds and the security of the compound was reassuring.

The place was outstanding for cost comfort and location. Negociate a price with them as it is worth staying in sofriere for at least a few days to take in all the waterfals ad sights. you wont ook back

Raleigh
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia on a budget

We returned from our first trip to St Lucia this past December, and we were able to save some money by taking the local buses several times. We took the bus from Marigot Bay to Castries, and took a connecting bus from Castries to Rodney Bay. It costs USD $1.00 per person for each bus ride. A taxi quoted us anywhere from 35 to 40 USD. Have fun!

Ingo

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia on a budget

Benaround - Funny! As soon as I hit the Submit button, I imagined local busses filled with tourists carrying large bags, snorkels, fins, blankets, chairs, etc. The locals will come after us for suggesting this! Really, large difference in price though and a great way to experience life in St. Lucia. If that's what you want to do...

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia on a budget

Doodah- LOL That image of snorkel gears,towels,umbrellas and beach balls taking up room on the mini bus and then the locals who just want to get to work. ohh geez we might have a hit out on our heads. Thank god we don't use our real names on tripadvisor.

I can't stress enough that to save money eat where the locals eat. The resturants in rodney bay and the hotels although very nice and sometimes worth the $100 dinner for the experience but I ate at the road side mom and pop places for $8 dollars, it's alot of food and fills your tummy.

Miami
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St Lucia on a budget

where did u decide to stay. did u check out diamondview.piczo.com you could save packets

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Lucia on a budget

hi i've finally decided to stay at gateway villas- their rooms look really nice and they are also affordable; but they are a bit removed from public transportation; which is okay bcause i want arelaxing vacation. any tips on nightlife/ entertainment?

Get answers to your questions about Soufriere