We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia with little kids

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
St Lucia with little kids

We've booked flights to St lucia in February - 3 families, 2 of them with small kids. We have a 4 yr old and a 9 month old. Question - are the remote hotels too remote in your opinion? People say you need a jeep to get around - if so, what to do about car seats? Where would you suggest we stay? We were hoping to find a place for less than $250/night but that seems hard to do. We prefer not all-inclusive in principal unless you think it would be too hard not to with kids.

Thanks for your help! We didn't look into all this detail before we booked our flights!!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jade Mountain Resort
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 11 hotels in Soufriere
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 hotels in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Crystals St Lucia
#3 of 11 hotels in Soufriere
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Staying in the South would be a challenge in my opinion. The resorts are mountainous and you will be walking or driving up and down some significant hills. If I had small children I would choose to stay in the North for convenience sake and do the South with my hubby or when the children are older. I don't like my vacation to be a hardship and I think the South presents some significant issues with small children. But, that's my opinion.

Suggestions for places to stay that aren't all inclusive but are very kid friendly would be Windjammer Landing which has a kids club and if the 3 families are close you could all stay in one villa as they have 3 and 4 bedroom villas, Villa Beach Cottages, Bay Gardens Beach Resort and The Landings. They all have cooking facilities and a beach. I must admit that I have not seen many small children when we have eaten out on the island over the years.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Beach Cottages
Villa Beach Cottages
708 Reviews
St. Lucia
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
2,324 Reviews
St. Lucia
The Landings Resort & Spa St. Lucia
The Landings Resort...
1,027 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia with little kids

The other option would be to rent a villa for all of you that is not part of a resort. I have not done that but there have been lots of postings on various places.

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Thanks for your messages. One issue is that we're flying into the airport in the north and then flying back out from the airport in the south. So we were thinking of staying at the villa beach cottages the first few nights and then somewhere in the south for the last few nights.

We're all family so in a way we don't want to rent our own villa - we want to see other people too! Which is why we were looking for a hotel somewhere near Soufriere. Would you have recommendations for hotels near Soufriere? What about the hummingbird resort?

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Have not been to Hummingbird but from what I have heard over the years I would say no.

Perhaps someone else will have some recommendations. As I already said, the South with small kids is a tough thing to do and you'll see why I say that once you are there. Personally I would stay a couple of nights at Coconut Bay even though it's not in Soufriere and it's all inclusive. You'll be right by the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Hummingbird Beach Resort
Hummingbird Beach Resort
290 Reviews
St. Lucia
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Coconut Bay Beach Resort...
6,537 Reviews
St. Lucia
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Have a look at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, too.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia with little kids

I realized after I posted that what I should have said was that hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can answer your question about the Hummingbird. I had heard lots of mixed things but since I've never been it's all hearsay.

Mentioned in this post
Hummingbird Beach Resort
Hummingbird Beach Resort
290 Reviews
St. Lucia
toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Hi there,

My family visited St.Lucia earlier this year(we have a 3 and a 1 yr old) and we stayed at Fonddoux Holiday Plantation for 5 nights and we had lots of fun. There are a list of kids activities to do while you there , such as plantation hikes,cocoa dancing classes,bamboo walking, arts and craft and lots more, check out their website www.fonddouxestate.com for more information.

I found the roads in St.Lucia are well paved so a rental car would be ok.We asked about car seats and we were told that the car rental company provides them.

The room rates are quite reasonable at Fonddoux Holiday Plantation.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia with little kids

Thanks so much - that makes me feel so much better! Unfortunately the Fond Doux is fully booked for the time we are there so we'll have to find another place.

9. Re: St Lucia with little kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 May 2009, 00:35
10. Re: St Lucia with little kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 11:30