We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

We are in the process of planning a trip possibly to St Lucia and were wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonbly priced hotel/BB (lodging and food) with great shore snorkeling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

The Hummingbird resort is on the beach, is reasonably priced and has a great kitchen (a tad expensive).

The best snorkeling on the island is off the beach and there is a dive shop on site where you can rent snorkeling equipment for, I believe, $5.00 per day.

If you like snorkeling, you will love diving. Try a resort course

and see if you like it.

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

When are you planning on your trip, The Still Beach Resort is planning to reopen by July. It is next to Hummingbird on the beach as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
161 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

If shore snorkeling is your priority, unless you want to spend big bucks, your best bet is Ti Kaye Village. Like you, I also wanted a reasonably priced place with excellent snorkeling. I considered Hummingbird, and while it IS economical and on the beach, after seeing it 'in person' I am so glad I did not book it. I don't think there is much (if any) snorkeling right off shore at the Hummingbird beach.

Ti Kaye is located at the best shore snorkeling location on St. Lucia - Anse Cochon. In fact, many snorkeling cruises drop their guests at the Ti Kaye beach in order to snorkel.

Ti Kaye has different room choices so that you can upgrade to splurge or go more economically. The food was very good, and had a nice variety. Breakfast was included when we stayed, and it was a large, hot breakfast, not a wimpy continental. Also, there were refridgerators in the room, so you could stock up at the store and save $$ by having lunch in your room.

I have also seen from time to time where they run specials during the summer months, so sometimes you can save even more that way.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

"Ti Kaye is located at the best shore snorkeling location on St. Lucia - Anse Cochon."

Sorry PittsburghPam, I have to disagree with you. In my opinion Anse Cochon is number 3 for best shore snorkelling, after Anse Chastenet and Jalousie.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
161 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

Yes, sunlover, you are correct -- but you have to spend BIG BUCKS to stay at those beaches, something that PATraveler specifically did not want to do.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

Everybody - thanks for all of the info. We are hoping the snorkeling in St Lucia compares well to that in Roatan. We were there last month and the snorkeling was the best we have experienced. Also, the food and lodging costs were very reasonable. I also dove, but for me snorkeling was better.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

Not exactly sure what reasonable may interpret for you, but... if, it is not the total bare bones in accommodation/price that is your interest, I would suggest taking a look at the Jalousie Plantation.

They have been running an "All Inclusive Extravaganza" for a while now or 30% off room rates.

In my opinion, this is not only hard to beat in St.Lucia but the Caribbean, as far as being a "unique" plantation cottage room, full serviced mountain/beach resort, very value priced "at this time".

One of a kind location, mountain and beach side between the Pitons, amenities, services, activities, etc. (much of which is included within the "room only rate" ) Including (water sports) snorkeling, sail boards, catamarans, kayaks, and a dive per day for certified divers. Meals and drinks are included on the "All Inclusive Plan"

On Expedia, for a Sugar Mill room (low season) it is running $200 a night (room only rate) with tax and service charges included to it priced also on sale at $350 on the "all-inclusive" per day is again in my opinion something you might want to look into.

8. Re: Reasonable Lodging W/ Good Shore Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 13:26