We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
979 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Just curious how visitors will get out if the airport has been destroyed. So sad for all those affected by this devastating hurricane :(

19 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

I wanna follow this post... My friend's home in New York but his kitty is on Sint Maarten (he goes to school there) and has gone missing.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Following. Have family down there and would like to better understand timeline.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Early plans appear to be to boat them to Curacao. A full survey of the airport has not been made on the Dutch side. The airport in Grand case will be out of commission for quite awhile.

Wichita, Kansas...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Do you happen to know if there is a plan for those on the French side?

VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

From the pics Ive seen of the Princess Julianne airport, it's going to be awhile before its operational again.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

The airport on the French side is in worse shape than the Dutch because the tower was severely damaged. But the French airport couldn't support the types of service the island needs anyways.

Any evacuation procedure for the Dutch side will apply to anyone on the French side.

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

There is at least one private charter trying to arrange transport out of Princess Julianna airport for a limited # of passengers. It's pricey and not sure exactly how it will happen, but I know they have a few seats left leaving early this evening. Flight will land in Teteboro NJ. PM me for info.

Edited: 09 September 2017, 02:10
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

Hi, pls let me know the details for the charter plane. One of my relative is there and wants to come back home. Pls pls help he's stuck there.

Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

I'd love to get my family (2 people) on that charter!!!!! Please let me know how

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How will visitors get back home after Irma?

All of you trying to get out of sxm try to chartervto PR and fromtherebtake a commercial flight to your final destination. It may be easier and less expensive.

Reply to: How will visitors get back home after Irma?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten