We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Azure

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
The Azure

Anyone know how it fared, and if Michael and his family are safe?

9 replies to this topic
canton
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Azure

HI: Mike and Fawnette are ok and were trying evacuate the island. Not sure how as the airport is not running any planes. The Azure Inn suffered a lot of damage. So sad. My favorite place to be on the island. Cannot believe the destruction both sides suffered and so worried for the islanders.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Azure

Thanks so much for the update! I was also wondering how Michael, Fawnette and their little girl are. My mom and I were just at The Azure 3 weeks ago and also love it there. They are great people...I'm so glad they're safe. Very sad that the hotel suffered so much damage though :(

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Azure

Thank you. This whole thing is so sad.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Azure

Michael's family is safe. We have no info on the hotel.

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
816 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Azure

@Lita R -

On another thread, you said this:

"Thanks you Salatzke: I have seen same and saw a post from Mike, owner of Azure. The inn suffered great damage and Mike and Fawnette, last I saw, were trying to evacuate the island. Such horrific devastation. I'm still in shock and praying for those on the island. It will take al long long time to rebuild."

Where did you see Mike's post?

Houston, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Azure

Sad to read the news that Azure was destroyed but glad that the owners and management were ok. I'm supposed to be there Sept 7.

My daughter was at the island during the storm but was evacuated yesterday to Puerto Rico and they just landed in Chicago.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Azure

Hello, I just found this forum so I thought I would send an update to all of the kind people that were worried about us and the Azure. We have been in NY for 3 weeks now, staying with family. A week after we arrived with my father and mother (they also live in SXM), my father was rushed to the emergency room because he could not breath. He is doing better now and is having one more procedure today and hopefully he will be out of the hospital by this weekend. Even with all the hardship that Irma caused, it was my father almost passing that wrenched my heart the most. This whole experience has made me all the more grateful for all that is good in my life, including all the kind people that have helped along the way. The Azure is also recovering and we should be open by January 1, if not earlier. Thank you and hope to see you soon!

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Azure

So sorry to hear about your father. Chris and I cannot wait to get back to our home away from home. See you next year.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: The Azure

Thanks Matt and Chris, going to see him now, I hope the doctors have good news...

Reply to: The Azure
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted