We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick restaurant check

Norristown...
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quick restaurant check

Hi friends! We are coming to Little Cayman for the first time this Fall, but starting research now. TA lists 4 restaurants for the island - Pirate's Point, Hungry Iguana, Beach Nuts & Dragon Inn. That's plenty, given the size of the island & the length of our stay, but I noticed that the last reviews for Dragon Inn date back to last October. Can anyone who has been down recently confirm if they are still open? I sure hope so! And are there any other places to eat that for some reason aren't listed here? Thanks! Smilin' Jack

Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Little Cayman Beach...
633 Reviews
Little Cayman
12 replies to this topic
Arkansas
Level Contributor
130 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick restaurant check

Dragon inn is not on little Cayman! Not sure how it got listed there. Others are part of a ai resort except got hungry iquana which is right next to a resort. Nope that is all the eating places....it really is basically a deserted island

Edited: 08 June 2017, 08:23
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick restaurant check

Where are you staying on Little Cayman?

The Hungry Iguana in Blossom Village near Paradise Villas is the only stand-alone restaurant that I know about. We've eaten there and the food was very good, especially the cracked conch and the fish tacos. But it used to be a family-owned place, it has since been purchased but a large corporation from Grand Cayman and I know that they had plans to refurbish it. I hope that it is still a nice, quiet, friendly, funky little spot.

As Wildbill said, most of the restaurants and bars are on resort properties but they are open to outside visitors.

The other places we have eaten at are the buffet dining room and the Beach Nuts bar at the Little Cayman Beach Resort, and the food was good but not great IMO. There is often entertainment like Trivia Night in the evening at Beach Nuts and it is a lot of fun! I seem to recall a barbecue on Friday night.

The Southern Cross Club is an upscale resort and they are supposed to have a nice restaurant and bar but I have never tried it.

Pirates Point's restaurant is at the PP resort and I haven't been there. I believe that there is also a Beach Bum restaurant at Sunset Cove, but haven't been there either.

We usually stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort on an all-inclusive package so we don't eat out too often.

Are you renting a condo or villa? The Village Square Market is the only grocery store that I remember seeing but you can get the necessities there - and you won't starve on LC - but it is not a gourmet destination.

Little Cayman is a very small and quiet. It is a great place to relax and enjoy nature and if you love the sea and marine life then it doesn't get much better than LC! We are going back there again this year to scuba dive and we are really looking forward to it!.

Besides diving you can hike, bike, ride scooters, fish, enjoy watersports, snorkel, and visit the wildlife preserves - or you can just relax in a hammock!

There's a nice little museum in Blossom Village that is worth a visit and you can tour the Marine Research Station on Friday afternoon. There's also a small spa available at the Little Cayman Beach Resort.

We usually rent a car one day to explore the island and occasionally rent a bike from the resort to pedal around the nearby areas.

Here's a video and some links about Little Cayman that you might enjoy, have a great trip!

https://youtu.be/Q6pJ7-Acks0

https:/…

www.alertdiver.com/Caymans_Sister_Islands

www.alertdiver.com/Sister_Islands_gallery

Edited: 08 June 2017, 11:57
Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman Beach...
633 Reviews
Little Cayman
Paradise Villas
Paradise Villas
225 Reviews
Little Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Southern Cross Club
Southern Cross Club
584 Reviews
Little Cayman
Norristown...
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick restaurant check

Thank you very much for the speedy replies! I'm a little bummed that Dragon Inn isn't on Little Cayman, but at the same time, it kind of cracks me up. This is why it's good to ask questions. Kathy - we are staying right next to the Hungry Iguana at Paradise Villas. We plan to do pretty much all of the activities you suggest, and I thank you for the links - I've already looked at a couple that you posted in other replies. I'm sure we'll end up trying every place there is to eat; we're not looking for anything gourmet, just a little variety, even though we could both eat conch chowder & cracked conch every day! We have been to Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac, so coming to Little Cayman completes the circle and we look forward to it being tiny and quiet.

Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman Beach...
633 Reviews
Little Cayman
Paradise Villas
Paradise Villas
225 Reviews
Little Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick restaurant check

What month in the fall are you planning to go? Hungry Iguana, Pirates Point, and Southern Cross Club all have closed down for one or more months in the fall in the past. I don't know if that will change with the change of ownership for the Hungry Iguana, but if you are coming in September or early October, your options may be limited to Beachnuts at LCBR.

Mentioned in this post
Pirates Point Resort
Pirates Point Resort
554 Reviews
Little Cayman
Southern Cross Club
Southern Cross Club
584 Reviews
Little Cayman
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick restaurant check

Yes, here is an article about the summer shut down. We usually visit in late Oct or early November and everything is back open up by then.

Norristown...
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick restaurant check

We're not heading down until early November. We should skirt both hurricane season & the summer shutdown. Thanks again!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick restaurant check

Glad I found this thread! We are booked for a first visit to LC and staying at the LCBR for five nights in early November. I was hesitant but so hoping it would be a decent (weather-wise) time of the year. My husband is looking forward to diving- is the water still fairly warm then? I only snorkel..

any additional tips or info would be greatly appreciated or you can PM me.

Thanks again, KathyV, for saying you have been in November and are repeating it. Who do you rent a car from- any contact info?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick restaurant check

The water is usually very warm in early November, around 85 F. The weather can be rainy and windy in November or it can be gorgeous. When we were there 2 years ago in early Nov we had perfect weather except for one day when it rained hard.

There is a beach and hammocks at the LCBR but I don't think that you can snorkel off the resort. There's turtlegrass and the dive boats come in and out. But there is snorkeling from shore available on the island, see Tsetudo's guide at the link below because it includes Little Cayman. Some folks kayak over to Owens Island to snorkel.

The pier is quite extensive and has an upper deck for sunbathing. There is also a "dive well" in the center of the pier. I think that they use it for dive training classes and you can probably snorkel there when it is not in use and check out all the fish hanging out under the pier. See the pictures of the pier at the links below. You should ask at the dive shop about the best snorkeling on the island.

I don't remember where we rented the car, but we asked at the front desk and they recommended someone. We only rented a car for a day to tour the island. There is a fee for a temporary Cayman drivers license - I think it is $20 and it is good for 30 days. We usually spend a week on Grand Cayman before traveling to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac and we are careful to take the temporary license with us because it is good throughout Cayman.

You can rent bicycles for a small fee from the resort and use them to visit Blossom Village and other nearby areas. But it is awfully hot for bike riding. I suggest you go in the early morning, wear a hat, and bring water!

There is a small pool and hot tube but they are nice and adequate for the small property. There is also a small spa on the property and the rates are not bad. I usually get a massage. And there is a small workout room and lending library.

The all-inclusive food buffet was nice but not fantastic, we prefer the food at their sister resort the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, but the diving is better at Little Cayman.

Wi-Fi and TV were not very good when we were last there, but we don't really go on vacation to watch TV, and you can usually get good Wi-Fi in the lobby and there is a computer there for the use of guests.

There is a small museum in Blossom Village that is worth visiting and the Hungry Iguana used to be a friendly local family restaurant and bar and a nice place to visit, but it is now under new management so I don't know if it has changed.

There are nightly entertainments at the Beach Nuts bar at LCBR like Trivia and Bingo. Trivia night is very popular and the winning team gets a bottle of wine but the team of scientists from the Central Caribbean Marine Institute usually win the bottle! You can tour the CCMI on Friday afternoons.

The Beach Nuts bar is very nice but the bar bill can add up. If you enjoy having cocktails on vacation you might want to pick up a bottle of liquor in the duty-free store in your local airport before you leave home. Each adult can bring in a liter of alcohol. Ice is freely available at the resort and most rooms have a small frig or you can ask for a frig. You can buy mixers at the resort store or at the Village Square Store in Blossom Village.

Just a word of caution, after you arrive on Grand Cayman, you will have to go through Cayman Immigration and then collect your bags and go through Customs. That's fine, but then you will have to recheck your bags and go through Security to board your flight to LC and you will NOT be able to take your sealed and labeled duty-free bottle through Security because it is greater than 3 ounces. If you bring a bottle, you should wrap it well and put it in your checked luggage before re-checking bags for Little Cayman.

When you are returning from LC, you can each pack a bag the day before you leave and the resort will send it on ahead so that it is waiting for you in Grand Cayman. When you arrive on GC after flying from LC, don't let them herd you into the arriving visitors line going into immigration. Go to the residents line and tell them that you are doing interisland transit and just came in from Little Cayman. You will then collect your bags, walk outside, turn and come back into the main ticketing lobby, check in for your trip home and go through Security.

Hope you have a great trip!

loren-jim.com/Little-Cayman-Island/Little-Ca…

https:/…little-cayman-beach-resort.jpg

…tumblr.com/post/93166979850/little-cayman

Edited: 17 June 2017, 04:09
Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman Beach...
633 Reviews
Little Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
768 Reviews
Cayman Brac
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick restaurant check

Here's a quick video of the Little Cayman Beach Resort property:

Mentioned in this post
Little Cayman Beach...
633 Reviews
Little Cayman
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick restaurant check

Thanks so much for all the tips and pix!!

Reply to: Quick restaurant check
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman