We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

We are flying to LC from Miami via Cayman Brac. We have about a 3 hour layover on CB. We do not stop on GC.

I wonder if that is enough time to hit the grocery store in Cayman Brac? Has anyone successfully done that? And even more important, I think, is was it worth it? We are staying in a rented home for a week on the island, so will need to prepare most of our meals. Is there really much benefit to shopping on Cayman Brac vs. just stocking up at the small store on LC?

Thanks for any shared experiences. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
5 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

The grocery store in Blossom Village on LC is a nice store and has a good inventory and the liquor store is adjacent.

There are more stores on Brac than on LC and that would probably be enough time to make run but I don't think it would be worth it.

How would you get to the shops? You might have to rent a car and that takes time and costs money. You could probably hire someone to drive you but that will add expense, too.

Another factor is the intermittent availability of perishable goods like fresh meet, dairy, and produce - this is true for both Brac and Little - a lot of the perishables come in to the sister islands on a weekly barge, so the supplies may be limited when you hit the stores and you'll have to come back later. You might go to the trouble and expense to make a grocery run on Brac and then find mostly frozen, canned, and dry goods because the barge hasn't come in yet.

But the biggest problem IMO is space on the flight. Cayman Air flies small Twin Otter planes into LC and they are really tight on space, especially if the plane is full. You are allowed a total of 55 pounds luggage and there isn't much room for carry-ons and you often have to check your carry-ons. It's only a short hop over to LC from CB so it may be okay but I wouldn't count on it.

My advice is not to attempt a grocery run on Brac, but others may have differing opinions. You should be okay getting supplies and I think that the LC store is open on Sunday but that isn't true for Brac.

We love both Brac and Little so have a great trip!

Edited: 17 January 2018, 03:41
Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

Thanks - I really appreciate your experienced thoughts. Definitely looking forward to doing a lot of nothing on LC.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

Liquor is very expensive in Cayman. You may want to buy some duty-free alcohol at your home airport or in Miami and carry it with you to LC. You will go through customs and immigration when you arrive on Brac. I'm pretty sure that you will have to go through security (a very short line!) at CYB before boarding the Twin Otter for LC - so you won't be able to carry greater than 3 oz of liquid onboard. But you should be able to put the bottles (well-padded!) into your checked bags before rechecking them for the final stage of your flight. I've done this on Grand Cayman before flying to LC or CB but I have never flown directly to Brac so I am not certain, but I think so.

You won't starve on LC. In addition to the Hungry Iguana restaurant, there are 3 resorts that have beach bars and restaurants so you will easily be able to eat out if desired.

Missing and delayed luggage is not uncommon when flying CAL to the sister islands and there isn't much space onboard the twin otters for carry-ons. I usually bring a large purse that I can squeeze under the seat or hold in my lap and I stuff it with medications, contact lenses, IDs and scuba C-cards, sunglasses, swimsuits, and a change of undies - so that we can get through a day okay until our missing bag arrives.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
California
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

There is a large enough grocery store about a mile or two from Cayman Brac airport. We are here on Cayman Brac.

My two cents is that it is not worth the hassle. What I would do is stock up on packed food and fill your suitcase. That is what we did. Of course we are buying what we can as far as fresh and liquids and the price is very high but my goodie bag has come in quite handy and we are into our 12 night of a 30 day trip.

You don't need much in the way of clothing. I bring very little and still I brought things that I will never wear. We do all carry on so there is no extra charge for an additional bag.

I bring a one cup French Press for coffee. I bring my coffee already ground. Granola bars, lots of packaged rice/noodle dishes (very light weight), many of those packaged very light weight tunas and also a can or two. My home made granola and a box of my favorite candy. Too difficult to bring things like chips of course. I bought a bag today and it was about $7. I paid about $8 for a box of Ritz crackers. Alcohol is expensive too maybe 2-3 times higher. But I found a rum, made in Caymans that we will try tonight called Black Beards for about $20 for a liter. Bring what you can and pay for the rest.

Mentioned in this post
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac

Just as a follow up. There is a small grocery store within easy walking distance from Cayman Brac airport and we did do some shopping there. We had some time to burn, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of time because the Grocery in Little Cayman was well stocked, and though it was a bit expensive, it wasn't absurd.

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have bothered buying groceries on CB. I certainly would not intentionally plan a long layover to do it. We were quite happy with the selection on LC.

Liquor and beer is a completely different subject. Cold beer on Little Cayman is crazy expensive! Oh, and they don't recycle bottles unless you buy the local brand, which I would have done if I had known that up front. But I do love a cold red stripe for breakfast. LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
Reply to: Grocery during short layover in Cayman Brac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman