We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one litre of liquor

Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
one litre of liquor

A call to the village liquor store reveals that they do no carry our beverage of choice. :-(

Truth be told, my wife and I would probably go through a bit more than 2 liters in the week we will be there - I mean, we are on vacation and all. So we need to bring in 2 liters for sure. Liquor of course comes in those pesky 750 ml bottles.

Wondering if anyone would happen to know if liquor needs to be in it's original bottle at customs (we are going through Cayman Brac) or of we can fill (2) 1 litre plastic containers up to the top and transport it that way?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions, "don't drink on vacation" tips will be politely ignored. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac
Cayman Islands
8 replies to this topic
1. Re: one litre of liquor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 January 2018, 06:23

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one litre of liquor

Did you call the duty free store at the last airport out of the US? They will sell one little bottles.

I would think it best to have in original packaging.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
780 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one litre of liquor

Buy 3 750 ml bottles, pay a little duty. Splurge, you are on vacation

Arkansas
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one litre of liquor

We take 3.5L of our favorite beverage. We put it in tonic water bottles and wrap them I plastic. We also buy a 1.75L at duty free. So yes repacking is not a problem at least for us. Its your vacation so have fun. May sound like a lot but we always seem to make friends we share with ymmv

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one litre of liquor

Does your brand come in those little 50 ml single drink bottles, like the ones that they sell on airplanes? You could buy 10 of those to make up the difference. Each of you could put 5 of them in your 1 quart zip-lock carry-on bag that you take through security.

Edited: 27 January 2018, 13:16
Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one litre of liquor

I didn't realize that you could pay duty to bring more in. That pretty much solves the problem I think.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Idaho Springs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one litre of liquor

Just to follow up - we told customs about our 3.2 litres of scotch, they asked if we had any cigarettes and we said no, and they told us to go on through - end of story.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one litre of liquor

Sometimes the paperwork for duty isn't worth it. It's not something that anyone should rely on, of course, but it is a possibility.

Reply to: one litre of liquor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman