We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

Paris, France
4 posts
Save Topic
Diving in Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

I am interested in visiting the Cayman Islands at the end of December and at the beginning of January.

I love scuba diving and that's the main raison why I want to travel to the Cayman Islands.

Is it true that the diving in Little Cayman is far superior to the diving in Grand Cayman? A guidebook says: "arguably better, more pristine sites are available on Little Cayman".

Many thanks for your replies.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

Much depends on what you are used to where you have been and what else you want. Diving on Grand Cayman is world class. All you have to do is pick up any Dive Mag and you will find countless sites that are excellent. The sister islands offer little besides solitude and great diving. The diving is Cayman is better than any other Carib destinition we have been to. For that matter the only place I found more interesting was the northern part of the Great Barrier Reef (the middle/southern part was so/so). Haven't been to Asia yet. If it is your first time to Cayman, you might want to try the "big" island. Depending on the time of year you have much to choose from. Although some say the North and East side have the best diving (it is fantastic) my favorite site is still perhaps North West Point on the west side which is rarely done because of currents, etc. It really depends on what you want and your level of experience! Happy diving.

Level Contributor
108 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

I just returned on saturday from my first visit to Cayman and can't wait to get back ! I would highly, highly, highly recommend staying at Compass Point (on the East End) and diving with Ocean Frontiers. The whole trip was simply fantastic from start to finish. Compass Point caters to divers and you just walk out of your condo onto the boat. They truley offer valet diving to the fullest extent. All the staff are extremely pleasant and personable and make you feel like you are the only person staying there. I've only been diving for 8 years now, but I can easily say, hands down that this was the best and most fun diving I've ever done. The clear visibiltiy is truely amazing and I couldn't get over all the colors you see at deep depths of 80 and 90 feet. I could go on and on, but I won't. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I WILL BE BACK !!!!

3. Re: Diving in Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 13:30
Get answers to your questions about Little Cayman
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor