We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Hi,

I am considering a trip with my best friend to Bequia. We are frequent travelers to Anguilla and from what I have read we make like Bequia as well. I have searched the forum and done some reading but still have a lot of questions.

What are the different areas of the island like? What are suggestions for areas to stay?

Very close to the beach or on the beach would be nice but we are open to a short drive or short cab ride to beaches.

How easy is it to get around and how is the terrain for driving? Or is it easier to plan on taking cabs?

Does anyone have suggestions for villas? We like something mid range to semi luxury. Private but not isolated with great views.

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

To be by the beach and at reasonable prices stay somewhere in Lower Bay.

Paget Farms more of the people, limited services.

Friendship, nice beach, only real major hotel is there.

Lower Bay, great location

Princess Margaret Beach, great beach, more expensive villas

Port Elizabeth, the centre of town

Mount Pleasant, like it says, Pleasant

Spring tends to be expensive, seems to attract the few island snobs

Don't drive unless you are seriously attached to your car. Walk if that is your thing or cab when it is not. The walking helps me eat and drink without thinking and lose a few pounds.

Villas above Lower Bay might be your best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Princess Margaret Beach
Princess Margaret Beach
369 Reviews
Bequia
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
196 Reviews
Bequia
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Check out Grenadine Villas

https://goo.gl/4BR68D

to start looking at villas--there are lots that aren't on there, too. I think you will find that you can get more for your money on Bequia than on Anguilla. I've only been to Anguilla once and loved it, but it is expensive. As DW said, I think Lower Bay is your best bet for a villa near the beach (there are very few places right on the beach in Bequia, but getting around is very easy)

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Thank you! Gives me a great overview.

Is the terrain hilly? Why do you say so not drive? Is it like a lot of the island where they drive fast and scary?

How much are cabs generally and what is best way to get to explore many areas of the island?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Thanks

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

The terrain is hilly, but that adds to the beauty of the island in my opinion. We rent a car for one day when we're on the island to drive ourselves around a bit, but I agree with the others for the rest of the trip we walk or use the dollar buses. If you aren't familiar with those they are minivans that you can hop on and off of if they are going your way. From the top of the lower bay hill into town, it's one EC per person. That's like 40 cents. Great deal and a lot of fun. Our kids love riding the buses!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

While Anguilla is mainly flat and more spread out...Bequia is very hilly. Roads are typically steep with hairpin blind curves. Deep Gutters on the sides of the road catch many Visitors off guard. Taxis are plentiful and less expensive than Anguilla. Bequia is much more "lush" and green. We visited Anguilla...had a nice time. Won't go back. To date have been to Bequia 14 times.........It is much more "walkable". The "Port" which is the small town of Port Elizabeth is a great place to explore on foot. Walk the Belmont Walkway where a concentration of small unique restaurants and bars are clustered. Some Gift shops, food marts. A few outdoor vendors. Rasta market for veggies etc. I would say more of a "community" feel. In all of my Caribbean travels i have never found a more friendly locale. The one thing I would say is preferable in Anguilla is the long and wide white sand beaches. Bequia beaches are smaller and the sand not blindingly white. For me, Lower Bay is ideal for swimming, beachcombing and Limin!

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Bequia
Bequia
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
196 Reviews
Bequia
Atlanta
Level Contributor
234 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

Thank you Obxpat that was a very helpful comparison. I ran across Bequia in my search for a place like Anguilla. I think the one thing they do have in common it seems are wonderful people. Also though in different ways they both have a natural and undisturbed beauty. Now I just have to figure out how to get to Bequia. I am not a fan of the small planes. I will probably ferry over to Bequia.

I like the idea of being able to walk more and to use local taxis. I love driving in Anguilla because it is flat and easy to get around. Not so much in more hilly terrain.

From the helpful information looks like I can narrow my villa search to Lower Bay and Princess Margaret

Edited: 11 July 2017, 10:29
Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Princess Margaret Beach
Princess Margaret Beach
369 Reviews
Bequia
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

You most likely have direct flights from Atlanta to Barbados. From Barbados fly into St Vincent and You can ferry over to Bequia. It is a very unique way to arrive on the island. Particularly your first visit (most people find themselves returning)! I also like to travel through Grenada when we have time to add a few days there. It is very different but also one of my favorite places to visit.I like to go into Grenada and spend a couple of nights. Take an island tour, it is well worth it! Called the Spice Island it even has rain forest and waterfalls along with lovely beaches. Much less developed and busy than Barbados. If you can fly Atlanta to Grenada, Liat flies up to St Vincent from there and back. Quick easy flights. Yes, if swimming beaches are your priority I would focus on Lower Bay or Princess Margaret. I also love the beaches on the other side of the island but due to exposure the water will not be as calm and seaweed can be an issue.

Edited: 11 July 2017, 17:01
Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Bequia
Bequia
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Spice Island Beach Resort
Spice Island Beach Resort
936 Reviews
Grenada
Princess Margaret Beach
Princess Margaret Beach
369 Reviews
Bequia
9. Re: Considering First Time Trip to Bequia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2018, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Bequia