We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bequia

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bequia

We are thinking of flying from Toronto into St.Vincent as we are splitting a winter holiday between Bequia and then Barbados (meeting friends there). The reading I have done so far leads me to believe the Ferry from St.Vincent is a good way to get to Bequia. I was wondering what the Ferry charges for a one way fare and how often it runs? Do ocean conditions cause the Ferry to be cancelled often? I don't think there are flights directly from Bequia to Barbados ...

Also is there a hotel close to the St.Vincent Argyle Int Airport you would recommend for an overnighter before our flight to Barbados? This would allow a little time for us to see some of St.Vincent and be sure to make it to our flight on time.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Bequia
Bequia
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
6 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bequia

Ferry St Vincent to Bequia runs half a dozen times a day at least. There are a large number of school kids and business people who commute on the ferry so it is usually reliable at the beginning and end of the day and if there are issues they are more likely to be mid day. Fare is $EC 30, I think. I have been on that ferry in conditions that I thought would have cancelled the trip, but no. Weather seems to be not a big issue. I expect in hurricane season there would be cancellations with the larger storms and waves.

You can fly directly between Bequia and Barbados with SVG Air. Costly but efficient.

Any of the hotels in Villa would be suitable, Beachcomber, Mariner, Blue Lagoon. All reasonable and comfortable. The Cobblestone is another option but it is near the ferry dock not the airport. Right at bthe airport there is nothing yet. Just an airport.

Mentioned in this post
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Bequia
Bequia
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
Blue Lagoon Hotel and...
186 Reviews
St. Vincent
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bequia

I just stayed at blue lagoon and was very satisfied, had a great dinner there and a nice breakfast overlooking the marina before catching the 11:30 ferry.

My advice would be to make arrangements with your driver from the airport to pick you up at hotel for ride to ferry.

I stay at Tropical Hideaway on bequia, which I highly recommend. And they made arrangements with their driver on st Vincent to greeted at the airport. Can't say for sure, but having a local with me made customs a breeze

Mentioned in this post
Tropical Hideaway Boutique Hotel, Suite's and Villa's
Tropical Hideaway...
274 Reviews
Bequia
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bequia

Personally, if you are already splitting your holiday between Barbados and Bequia, I would not add St Vincent to the mix. To travel on LIAT you generally have to overnight the night before your morning flight out, as the ferry won't get you there early enough to get to the airport in time, which means leaving Bequia late afternoon the day before, and that doesn't give you any time for even a taxi tour of SVG, which you are going to need a day for to do it any justice. When you come back to Bequia, and chances are you will because once you've been to Bequia you are irresistibly drawn back, then you could add a day trip or two to St. Vincent. We did St. Vincent for a couple of days before we came to Bequia on our first trip which was nice and interesting, but within a half hour of being on Bequia, we both looked at each other and said 'why did we waste those days on St. Vincent'. And Tropical Hideaway would be a wonderful place to stay, though there are many other great choices for all budgets.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Tropical Hideaway Boutique Hotel, Suite's and Villa's
Tropical Hideaway...
274 Reviews
Bequia
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bequia

If you are staying in Barbados after Bequia, you don't need to catch a morning Liat flight from SVD. There are afternoon flights that you can get to in plenty of time using the ferry. Or of course you could spend the extra $$ and fly SVG Air from Bequia. It is only if you are trying to connect with an international flight that you need to worry about catching the early Liat flight.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bequia
Bequia
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bequia

All Great info thank You all Very Much ! One question are SVG Air and SVG to separate airlines ?

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bequia

SVG Air, Mustique Air and Grenadines Alliance are all one and the same...

Reply to: Getting to Bequia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted