We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

I assume our cruise will dock at Fredericksted, What is the distance from the pier to Rythms at Rainbow Beach? Should we get a taxi? We wish to rent lounge chairs and have lunch. Spend day at beach. We are in our late 70's. Is this place the closest for this kind of day to the pier?

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Beach
Rainbow Beach
439 Reviews
St. Croix
8 replies to this topic
Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

Welcome to St. Croix. You have two great choices close to the pier, taxi required for either but only a short distance. Sandcastles on Sandcastle Beach. They used to have a deal for $25 for [2] beach chairs, [2] Drinks & and an umbrella for $25. I would recommend you go there first and then go up to Rhythms on rainbow beach for some music, drinks and general sillines. They are only a 6.00 (pp) taxi ride apart.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:59
Christiansted, St...
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

I recommend Rainbow. It is an easy 1 mile walk from the pier. Nice beach and excellent food. There is also a beach right next to the pier but it does not have a restaurant.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
853 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

Keep in mind your arriving at F'std a small Caribbean village on a cruise ship that will unload 1000+ travelers. The likelihood of your getting to Rhythms or Sandcastles in time to get chairs and an umbrella is rather low. I prefer Rhythms at Rainbow beach and always spend my last few hours on island before a flight out. Rhythms has plenty of seating on decks. I don't know if you can advance reserve seating ... ??? Suggest you ask your excursion coordinator on ship in advance. There are many options.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Rhythms at Rainbow Beach
Rhythms at Rainbow Beach
868 Reviews
St. Croix
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

I agree- Rainbow is great and an easy walk- Rhythms is a great beach bar and the food is wonderful. It’s our go to place after hunting for seaglass and chaney !

Edited: 09 June 2018, 00:39
grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

I may be the minority here but we are in our mid-50's and we recently stayed on St. Croix. We ended up at Rainbow on a cruise ship day. We didn't enjoy it all all (we didn't go for lunch, actually just for snorkeling). We don't love the crowded beach bar scene anyways though. I would go on a non-cruise ship day but since you are part of the problem and not the solution (lol!) that's not possible. If you are a cruisers you may be used to the crowded beaches or maybe you enjoy that, in that case Rainbow is probably for you. I'd rather eat lunch in Fredericksted and taxi to somewhere where I can just relax on a beach blanket, like the beach just before Sandy Point or the one next to Cottages by the Sea, or basically anywhere else.

It seems to me that cruisers in general are stuck with limited options because they want food, drink and chairs. I'd rather buy my own stuff and not be limited to the "cruise ship crowd" places. Do cruisers not do this? (Seriously, I do want to know!)

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

Good points on all. Being the posters are in their 70s I recommended sandcastles since rhythms is more of a party crowd and not as quaint as sandcastles. Another option is to taxi to Cane Bay. Really picturesque with the hillsides and great beach. It was one of my groups favorites.

Mentioned in this post
Cane Bay
Cane Bay
317 Reviews
St. Croix
grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

Stxdreamer- We loved that end of the island down toward Sandcastles. Very beautiful and serene.

plymouth
Level Contributor
117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop

looking to go to st. Croix for a 2 week vaca..what is the best beach and what about seaweed in feb.or march ..what about bugs that time of the year thank you I always trust trip advisor forums

Reply to: Beach for St. Croix Cruise Stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix