We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicole

Howell, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Nicole

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to surprise my boyfriend with a NYE/NY's trip. Thinking of going to St. Thomas with 2 of our friends. I keep researching different areas and read good and bad things about that island.

Is this somewhere we should go or is there better options? I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money but we're also okay with spending money if it's worth it. I've read some reviews on Turks as well so I'm torn on which place to go!

Help helpppp :) thanks

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
14 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicole

You'll find that X-Mas/ New Year's time is the most expensive time to go to either island. I've been to T&C and it can be very expensive. But I guess that term is very subjective. What exactly is your budget? Price per night? Looking to rent a villa or stay at a resort?

Howell, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicole

Thanks for the reply!

We're looking to spend about $1,200 per person for flight and stay - then extra spending money of course for food, drinks and fun activities :)

I found a few Airbnbs that were reasonably priced and a roundtrip flight from EWR ---> STT for $560 a person roundtrip (which is perfect).

I've also been doing some research on St John - is that better than St Thomas or Turks?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicole

Nicole,

Good for you for planning a NYE trip. The islands in January are magnificent. So to help us help you, how long are you planning on going for and what are the things that you enjoy doing, what are the turn-offs, what does your ideal vacation look like? Are you looking to party like rock-stars or are you just looking for a great adventure? Are you outdoor enthusiasts, beach goers, shoppers, foodies? Paint us a picture and we will help steer you.

Howell, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicole

YAY! so happy January is a good time to go. I'm planning on gong for a week!

My boyfriend lived on St John for a while so I thought surprising him and taking him back there or to St Thomas might be fun :)

We love everythinggg and will also make the best of something (even if it sucks haha). We like outdoor activities - hiking, fishing, surfing, going out on boats but we also want to hang by the beach and hit local spots some days/nights.

Food is a total plus in our book!

We don't like touristy and super crowded areas but like I said we can make the best of anything.

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 02:15
Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicole

I can’t speak for STT as I’ve never stayed there. I did however visit both T&C and STJ and absolutely love STJ because of the hiking opportunities, beautiful beaches, easy snorkling off the beach at many beaches, water activities: SUP, kayaking, boat charters, lush green topography, and laid back atmosphere.

I would say T&C has more of a foodie scene however STJ has many wonderful restaurants. T& C is more of a beach vacation. The beaches are very nice and the water has some of the prettiest shades of blue that I’ve seen. Having said that, the island is very flat and arid, no hiking opportunities, and there is hardly any snorkeling off the beach. You would have to charter a boat for that. They do have bone fishing though.

I visited T&C before discovering STJ and if I had to pick between the two STJ wins hands down for me.

One other thing, do you plan on renting a car during your vacation? Taxi fares can quickly add up and get to be expensive.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 02:51
Mentioned in this post
Howell, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicole

Thank you!!

I heard the taxis there are outrageous. I found a few rentals that are about $250 for the week - so I think we'll def rent a car.

I'm leaning more towards STJ or STT I think. I'm all for the hiking and fun things to do so I feel like as beautiful as T&C is, I may get a little bored.

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicole

As far as car rental, it is highly recommend by the vast majority to rent a Jeep if traveling to STJ because of the grade and curviness of the roads. I would find it necessary driving one if it rains.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicole

The cost of a jeep will be around triple the cost of what you found.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicole

There are some great B&Bs on STJ. Post on their specific forum. A really great group of resident experts will help you plan.

Howell, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicole

I'm new to posting on here haha how do I post onto a specific forum?

Reply to: Nicole
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted