We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
669 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

My friend and I will be in St. Thomas on a cruise stop in December and would like to visit Lindqvist beach. We will be docking at Crown Bay. Neither of us have ever visited St. Thomas before. I understand cars drive on the left. I'm a little nervous about relying on a taxi for the return trip so are we better to rent a car, or are taxi's readily available from Lindqvist? We would also like to stop on the way to the beach to pick up a picnic lunch.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
6 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

I would go by taxi. It'll cost you $8-$10 per person each way and if you let us know where your ship is docking (the West Indian Company dock at Havensight or Crown Bay) we can let you know where you can probably walk to from there to grab sandwiches or whatever. No worries about returning to the ship from Lindqvist. All you need to do is get the cell # of your taxi driver and let him/her know what time you'd like to leave, call to confirm closer to the time and if he/she can't pick you up he/she will have someone else come and get you. Lindqvist is on a well traveled road so no problem there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
669 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

We are sailing on Oasis of the Seas, which I'm pretty sure has to dock at Crown Bay because of the size of the ship.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

Tickles Dockside Pub. You can see the menu here and call beforehand for something to take out. Highly recommend!

http://www.ticklesdocksidepub.com/

Mentioned in this post
Tickles Dockside Pub
Tickles Dockside Pub
470 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,480 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

Lindqvist doesn't have a taxi dispatch area, so you can get the driver's number and ask him to return for you, or you can take the short walk to the main road and a taxi should soon stop for you. There is no shortage of taxis here and they are always on the main roads looking for passengers.

Relax and enjoy the ride!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

FYI, the taxi driver did NOT come back to Lindqvist for my friend after she took him from the cruise ship. She had arranged a time and even called him. He did not answer. Fortunately, she was able to safari into RH and grab a cab (or Sapphire). Another friend who works at the beach helped her get to it (I had given her a heads up that this might happen, actually, and her next option).

And quite honestly, the cab driver dropped a group off at Coki and told her he couldn't take her to Lindqvist, because cabs don't go there. She said fine, I'll get a cab here at Coki over there (because she knew he was lying); he relented and took her to the beach. She was supposed to pay him when he returned; he did not. She was on a cruise ship there 2 weeks ago.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
720 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi

Sorry for your friend's experience but that's not the norm. As Ms411 noted, the Smith Bay Road is very well traveled and if there's any sort of a glitch, you can easily walk to up to the main road from Lindqvist and hail a passing cab. The majority has no problem at all.

Reply to: Cruise stop - Rental Car or Taxi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;