We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2009 No changes Becoming a dump

Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
2009 No changes Becoming a dump

I have owned a time share for nine years. Each year the management sytems there --Antilles, Flagship and condo association have done nothing to improve the property.

Restaraunt & bar still boarded up. If you are in a Flagship unit the rest of hotel managemnt staff treats you like you do not belong there. The flagship units have not been updated.

The beach is beautiful. If yu want to stay, be careful of who you are renting from. Do not expect any service. Stay away from the Flafship units.

Do not pay any attention to any of the adds about amenities --There are not any!!!

Don Brady

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

It is Not stated but I assume you are ranting about something at Sapphire Beach???

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
538 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

The Flagship units, I believe there are 12 or 13, owe the resort thousands of dollars. The owners association could make a lot of improvements with the money owed. See if you can get them to pay up, we'll make it nice.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

The Flagship, condo association, Bayside, and Beachside relationships are very complicated.

There have been a number of suits by the condo association against Flagship, and defending the timeshare operation has resulted in a number of dues increases and special assessments billed to Flagship members. The diversion of funds to legal matters has prevented much needed maintenance and betterments.

This past week Flagship members received a notice that they would have to pay another special assessment. Not only that, but the notice went on to say that EVERY member had to pay in the next 10 days or Flagship would end all operations at the end of October.

So in effect Flagship will no longer exist after October 2009. The condo association will not get a penny for dues now or in the future.

But the real tragedy is that there are close to 2000 people, good people, that loved Sapphire, that could not afford to buy a unit so they borrowed or saved enough money to buy a one week piece of a place in paradise. Now they have nothing! Their money is gone.

It is a very sad story that never should have happened.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

Couldn't agree more and it's an internal melee for true.

That said, the individual owners have, through thick and thin, maintained their units to the nth degree and rent them out with no problem whatsoever, many of them through www.vrbo.com.

That the beachfront bar and restaurant are closed is such OLD news that its almost weird to see it repeated here. The Grapevine Grille on the hill above Sapphire isn't a place I'd recommend to visitors looking for good food at a reasonable price but they have a "beach runner" to service those who want a quick dish or a drink and then there's the makeshift burger place between a couple of the buildings.

Everything as always needs to be put into perspective.

I always suggest that visitors looking to rent at Sapphire deal with the owners and not Flagship.

I'm sorry, TheDonaldVirginia, that your experience has been so bad. I know it's not going to make you feel any better but I've heard ongoing similar stories from timeshare owners at Bluebeards Castle and Magens Point Resort.

I really am sorry that you got sucked in, but please don't trounce Sapphire in one fell swoop. Cheers!

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

WOW! T didn't receive the letter but it sounds like I have just lost my timeshare?! You are right, Bill, it has been complicated and tragic. I will not give them any more money for legal fees, enough is enough.

I still will recommend the resort to users on this forum. It is a beautiful beach and most of the units are well maintained and nice. Hopefully someday it will return to its former glory.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

Although the lack of a real restaurant at Sapphire is old news to many of us who frequent this forum, there are new people every day who come here for advice. Some people will not mind that there is no restaurant; for others it could make all the difference. So, it's always best to err on the side of helping folks and let them know what each of the beaches have and what they don't have. This way we'll have fewer unhappy -- and surprised -- people.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

I don't care that's there's not a restaurant on the beach anymore at Sapphire. It's about 5 minutes til you get in your car and get to Red Hook.

Don, can you say anything good about STT?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

kz dallas said: "Although the lack of a real restaurant at Sapphire is old news to many of us who frequent this forum, there are new people every day who come here for advice. Some people will not mind that there is no restaurant; for others it could make all the difference. So, it's always best to err on the side of helping folks and let them know what each of the beaches have and what they don't have. This way we'll have fewer unhappy -- and surprised -- people."

I couldn't agree more and whenever I recommend Sapphire to visitors I don't fail to tell them of the eating facilities there at any particular time.

I completely understand and empathize with the OP's angst and feel very sorry for anyone caught in the middle of this protracted legal battle which isn't likely to end soon.

Why I feel the need to defend Sapphire sometimes confuses even me! But I've been in many of the units, have friends who own and live there, have other friends who rent out their units there as vacation properties. The beach is one of the very best on St Thomas, the owner units are very well equipped and for a vacationer the "bang for the buck" is hard to beat.

One of my biggest gripes is with those who spend a day on the beach and see the exterior of the beachfront buildings as being "tacky". Weatherworn - salt air and sun take their toll and unless you're out there every three months refinishing and repainting ...

A huge amount of money was poured into basic structural maintenance and renovation a couple of years ago. And then of course you had posters complaining that they were disturbed by the construction workers. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In the same vein, so many were so upset when the "Sunday at Sapphire" stopped. It was a huge draw where islanders and visitors would congregate and listen to live music. Dancing on the beach, two bars open, nice melee for true. The complaints from some visitors were all quite par.

They complained that the beach was too crowded, the music was too loud, the music went on for way too long, "we came here for a quiet vacation and the Sunday was just the worst!"

Well, we all know that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Oh well, this has been my home for 25+ years now and I do what I can! Cheers!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

I agree with you STT and may I add that alot of people do not do their homework when going on vacation.

I'm staying for 10 days next April in a unit I've stayed in before. It's 999.00 for 10 nights...you can't beat that anywhere. It has what we need. A nice bed, a kitchen and a beautiful view. When I'm on vacation I'm hardly even in the room, why spend so much more money somewhere else?

boston
Level Contributor
609 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2009 No changes Becoming a dump

I agree with KD in that the closure of the restaurants is important to know. The property is known as Sapphire Beach RESORT, and people assume that a resort will have certain amenties, one of these being at least one restaurant on site. While some people may want to prepare all their meals onsite or travel to get one (sorry, I don't count the guy at the grill)there are probably many more travelers who would want the convenience of walking out the door and getting a meal served to them. After all, this is a vacation. Sapphire Beach is a great beach but frankly, the property no longer qualifies as a resort. And maybe that's what's confusing to those who don't investigate the property they book.