We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars

dallas
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rental cars

What rental car companies are there? Not sure if we will rent one but i should check it out in advance in case we do want one. I do not like driving on the wrong side of the road! Why is it they do that, I thought it was american? It just really makes me nervious at night!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars

The rental car companies which seem to receive the best reviews are Dependable, Amalie and Avis. If you plan on taking the car barge over to St John for a day you will not want to rent from Hertz as they don't allow it. You can do a search on this forum to find all the different perspectives on renting versus not renting but to me it's a no-brainer as taxis are expensive and charge per person.

Why do we drive on the left? A long story but to us it's not the "wrong" side of the road, just the left! We may be a US territory but there is much here you'll find very different.

The maximum speed limit is 35 MPH and for the most part you'll be driving around 25 MPH. Very easy to get used to and gives you the freedom to explore at your own leisure. Enjoy!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars

Hi Viv!

If I were you I would rent one before you go. We were down there in 2007 and chose not to rent a car because we didn't want to drive on the left. After two days of riding in cabs, we decided it wouldn't be that bad. The speed limit helps, traffic's always backed up so there's always someone for you to follow. :) The island is not that big - and once you get the lay of the land - I bet you'll be comfortable. We spent two days trying to track down a rental car - but there weren't any on the island because of the cruise ships. To top it off - we spent well over $500 for cab fair by the time the week was up - and that was being VERY conservative about where we went and how often we went somewhere. We leave in 59 days and opted to rent a Jeep...against the advice on this forum, we're risking it with Budget. I've already emailed them twice for confirmation, so we'll see.

One last thought - you could rent your car before you head down - but don't rent it for the entire trip. Take a cab from the airport to where you're staying, and maybe even the first day that you are there...you can always pick up your car on day two or day three.

Have fun!

Liv

dallas
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars

I should have said the other side of the road or left.Sorry if I offended anyone. I think we may check it out and decide when we get there. How well the roads are at night will be a huge thing, if they are well marked and plenty of light will be a plus. May rent for a day here and there, but not when we may be on water excursions. Thanks Viv

4. Re: rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 12:17