We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

Santa Fe , New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

Hi all, could you please clarify the car ferry operation for me?

I understand that as soon as our car is on the barge, we should leave it to enjoy the trip, otherwise other cars will be packed too close and we'll have to stay in the car.

Once we leave the car, where do we go? Is there a sitting area or everybody just stands ? If everybody just stands, can we bring beach chairs for my elderly parents to sit on while we are on the car barge? Also, does the car ferry have a restroom?

many thanks,

KKYY

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
1 review
1. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

You will see the "seating area" on both ferries, but on the Mr B they are up a steep flight of stairs and on the Roanoak they are are up a short set of stairs at the back (but you get full sun and fumes at the back) or a medium steep set of stairs to the bar area. Do not plan on sitting on chairs best bet would be to stay inside the car or up at the official seating area (anyway there would be no where to put chairs)

They do have restrooms but there is no way I would ever use them

Pia

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
1 review
2. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

I forgot - make sure you back on the ferry

Pia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

When you get on the ferry, play it by ear. If there's a garbage truck on the ferry and it's right next to you...just get out, and get out fast because they really do pack you in tight.

We've always just go out and went up on deck.

Santa Fe , New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

Thank you! Yes, we want to go out of the car and go to the desk to enjoy the view.

minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

We were just on it last week. Yes you park close by, however you can get in and out of your car if need be. I always get out, go up top, take pictures, and yes, use the restroom (dirty but if you got to go, got to go) bring napkins with you, none in there. Kick back in the car and have a cocktail - it's legal.

Oxford, MS
Level Contributor
509 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

How much does it cost for the car ferry and is the price per person or per car? Thanks!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
1 review
7. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

It is per car and approx $30 each way (I can never remember as I buy a 10 trip discounted pass) and the prices are different for weekday and weekend travel.

Pia

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
306 posts
541 reviews
8. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

Here's a link to the ferry schedules, companies, and fees. There are three car ferry companies.

vinow.com/general_usvi/…20Bay

You can get a roundtrip ticket for cheaper, but you have to make sure you are on the right one when you return.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

One time we were moving from a villa on STJ to spend the last part of our vaycay on STT - we had all of our stuff including two huge round inflated pool chair floatie things. We backed on to the barge and while we were re-arranging our blow-up cargo that we had to move to see to back on we were quickly wedged between the wall and a fish truck. Oh, the aroma - Eau d'Wahoo. We thought we would just stay in the vehicle with the windows closed and the a/c on. But, then I had to hit the loo. Couldn't get out, then the floaties started moving around - for whatever reason - it was like they were possessed - we couldn;t get them to stay put. It was a real Lucy and Desi scene. We started laughing and, of course, that made me need to use the loo even more urgently. I finally squeezed myself out through the window, then up across the roof and down the hood to scramble to the john. Of course, I forgot to bring any Kleenex or napkins with em when I escaped from the car. Thanks for the memory - I'm laughing again - excuse me....gotta go - rofl

- Margy

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
1 review
10. Re: Car ferry questions (Red hook to St John)

Margy that is sooooo funny - I can see it now :)

Just as an update, there are 3 companies but only 2 are running right now - the third (Capt Vic) has not been in service for probably a year and does not look like it will be running again anytime soon

Pia

Get answers to your questions about East End