We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

point pleasant mixed reviews

illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
point pleasant mixed reviews

There are very mixed reviews to this property....we are holding a reservation but second guessing with the few negative reviews.

Anyone who has actually stayed there recently...would you recommend it, and any suggestions on location of units, or actual units?? If stayed here before, would you suggest another property on the East side instead??

new jersey
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

My fiance and I stayed there in one of the units on the top two years ago in July. We were very concerned with the reviews also. It ended up being a very pleasant vacation. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the views were outrageous and we also enjoyed both the restaurants on the property. There is a lot of steep walking to get around the resort and not much of a beach, but we rented a car and went exploring most days anyway. They also have three nice pools at different levels that were much appreciated while we were there

That was our first visit to St. Thomas, and we came back this past July to be married on Magens Bay.

We rented a villa this past July just because we had family coming down or we would have stayed there again. We did have our reception at Agave.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bad reviews

illinois
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

Thanks so much for your feedback!!! It helps to here from someone who has actually stayed there.

New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

Have not stayed at Point Pleasant...but went there a couple of week ago to dine at Agave. Walked around the property a bit, down by a pool...and the views were spectacular! It looked like a very pleasant, well-kept place to stay. The Agave restaurant's food & service were outstanding!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

You must always remember that reviews are based on the "eye of the beholder." A good or bad review can be influenced a great deal by where an individual has been, where he/she lives, and what his/her expectations are in a vacation. Some of the most luxurious resorts get some bad reviews because people go there expecting something different; and, on the other hand, some quasi-dumps get rave reviews. Don't ask me to explain that one!

So...I have stayed at Point Pleasant and it has it's pros and cons. Every time we are on St. Thomas or hopping through from somewhere else we go for at least one dinner at the Agave Terrace at Point Pleasant. We love the place -- the food, views, people. Fungi's down on the water is excellent, too.

The grounds are very pretty, lush, nice pools (very hilly, however). But the "beach" is nonexistent. You must walk 10 minutes to the beach or drive to other beaches. You can also walk to Coki, but it's a bit longer hike through a not-so-pretty area. On the other hand, you're close to Red Hook and can get the ferry easily over to St. John and visit some of the prettiest beaches in the Caribbean.

The views from Point Pleasant are extraordinary -- of St. John and down island to the BVIs. The units are cliffside, scaling up and down the hill, and the top floor units have the most commanding views. (A few stairs to go up, but, if you're in good shape, do it). The wrap decks offer incredible views from the high floors...there's also a kitchenette in the units which is very helpful.

Point Pleasant is an ideal base for visiting other beaches on STT, ferrying over to St. John, or daytripping to the BVIs.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

Lorgo

You didn't mention if you plan to rent a car, but I think you really need a car if you stay at PP. All the posts are correct about the incredible views and good restaurants. The units are individually owned so they are maintained and decorated by the individual owner.

The reason I feel you need a car is the units are HIGH up and walking to the nearest beaches (PP really doesn't have a beach) is quite strenuous. I stayed there when I was young and in pretty good shape. Sad to say that I am neither now and there is no way I could do that walk.

However, a car solves that problem.

6. Re: point pleasant mixed reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 13:16