We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for us

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for us

We are sailing to stt next week. I have read many reviews of various beach areas and still can't decide where to spend the day. Please help?

We would like comfy chairs, shade (umbrella or trees), drinks/snack, space to spread out from other people (not isolated but not jammed pack), no loud music, and beautiful clear water. We would taxi to the area so if you know cost please let me know. We dive so we don't plan to snorkel here much so that doesn't matter.

Right now we are between maegan's bay and sapphire beach. Do these fit the above description? If so, which would you choose?

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for us

I should also mention that we appear to be the only ship in port that day, oasis of the seas 5400 souls, so should be pretty good on crowds I would guess if that matters.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for us

I love both but in this case, Magens. It doesn't get much better for what you're looking for and the beach is a mile long so there's plenty of space to find your own spot. With only one ship in you'll have everything you want or need. Taxi fare will run you around $10 per person each way. Enjoy!

PS: If you feel active, there's a gorgeous hiking trail to enjoy there too - plus non-motorized water craft.

wv
Level Contributor
548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for us

Herdfan we live just up river from you in Mason Co. How awesome to get to sail! its on my bucket list. Maybe you could post a trip report on TA and let us know which forum you posted it.

We are making a second trip to the VI's in Jan. staying in a condo on Sapphire. I so envy those who get to sail to all the islands!

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
721 Reviews
St. Thomas
Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for us

The term "sail" isn't being used in its literal sense, but that they will be on the worlds second largest fossil fuel powered cruise ship making port in St Thomas. And, if I'm not mistaken I think their ship only makes about three port calls, so not quite "all" the islands.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for us

Resident thanks for the quick reply. I have heard wonderful things about maegans bay. My only concern about going there was during my research I saw a post about how crowded the area was with cruise ship people like myself. Does one ship mean it would be safe to go there? Also I was concerned about availability of chairs and umbrellas there, as well as nice adult beverages. I thought amenities were sparce (as in throw a blanket down and that's all). Am I wrong?

WVU nice to hear from a neighbor on here. What are your thoughts on Saphire beach vs maegans? Obviously you like sapphire since you are staying there.

Wirocky is correct. We are cruising on a cruise ship. Though I believe he doesn't know how much we West Virginia (coal country) natives love out fossil fuels. Lol. I actually prefer to stay a week in a location rather than cruise. We travel to Mexico often some all inclusive and some condos, but have never been to Virgin Islands. We don't do cruise ship excursions and usually make our own way. But thanks for taking the time to point this out WiRocky without helping me out with my question at all.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 06:57
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for us

Plenty of room at Megans and it meets all your requirements. Chairs are rentals, lots of shade esp if there is just one ship that day and a nice beach bar.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for us

Can we all start by spelling Magens properly? Just my little pet peeve!!! All the amenities you could want are there, The beachside cafe serves pretty good grub, the bar is large and the drinks are good. Big, well kept bathrooms - beach is pristine and, as I mentioned, a mile long. Lots of shade and lots of sun, beautiful water. I've been there many times on 3-4 (big) ship days and even then when the area closest to the concessions is busy there's always plenty of room down at the far end of the beach to enjoy the solitude I prefer. A one-ship day is a breeze.

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for us

Magen's is beautiful and has soft sand and no rocks, hence no snorkeling. Sapphire in my opinion has better views looking out to sea plus snorkeling. The have a tiny food/drink stand and chair rentals as well as kayaks and a few other rentals. No umbrellas, but plenty of trees for shade. Magen's has a few more water rentals like stand up paddle. They also have a restaurant. I remember many free picnic tables in the shade and loungers for rent down by the restaurant. Either location would be a great choice. We saw hundreds of fish snorkeling at sapphire. It was so easy snorkeling right off the beach. Sapphire did have runners on the beach to take orders from a couple diff food vendors.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
721 Reviews
St. Thomas
wv
Level Contributor
548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach for us

Oh ok my bad lol! Yes I thought you were sailing, not cruising. I have done one cruise and hated it, would rather just go to and island and stay. Have done two all-inclusives and didn't care for that since we'd rather explore the islands. That being said, we do like to stay by the waters edge rather than get in a car every day to get to a beach. Which is why we are staying at Sapphire. It will be our first time staying there - we stayed at Secret Harbour before and LOVED it. (It was out of our price range now) Anyway I can't comment on the beach at Sapphire personally, but everything I've read sounds awesome. I think you will be happier at Magen's tho, where its a longer beach and snacks close-by.

I edited to spell Magen's correctly :/

Edited: 18 August 2013, 10:15
Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
721 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach for us

wvu: Nope, still didn't get it right. No apostrophe. Just Magens. Named for the Magens family from Denmark who first settled on St Croix before some of the family removed to St Thomas in the early 18th century and resettled in what's now the Magens Bay Estate. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Magens Bay
Magens Bay
4,828 Reviews
St. Thomas
Reply to: Best beach for us