We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for us

Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for us

We are sailing to stt next week. I have read many reviews of various beach areas and still can't decide where to spend the day. Please help?

We would like comfy chairs, shade (umbrella or trees), drinks/snack, space to spread out from other people (not isolated but not jammed pack), no loud music, and beautiful clear water. We would taxi to the area so if you know cost please let me know. We dive so we don't plan to snorkel here much so that doesn't matter.

Right now we are between maegan's bay and sapphire beach. Do these fit the above description? If so, which would you choose?

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
587 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best beach for us

Darn it - I put the apostrophe in too! Good to know - at least I don't call St John, St Johns! Lol

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best beach for us

Thanks everyone. I think we will go to Magens (my autocorrect doesn't like that spelling lol). We aren't interested in snorkeling as we will dive in Bahamas. What is cost pp to get taxi to magens beach.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best beach for us

Answered earlier, figure on $10 per person each way.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best beach for us

Depends. Best all-around sounds like Magens is it, since snorkeling doesn't matter. No fish to see at Magens; lots at Sapphire.

You're in for a treat. I love Mexico, especially the mountain towns, though there are some pretty beach areas, too, in Playa del Carmen and south -- but it's nothing like the Virgins. The VI are so much more naturally beautiful. Prettier water and beaches, mountains and blooming things. Have fun!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best beach for us

As another visitor to STT I have to get one vote in here for beautiful Sapphire Beach!

Sapphire has the amenities you want and has space to spread out and also offers abundant natural shade, beautiful water colors and island views, and excellent snorkeling. Magens is also a large bay but just lacks the character that the East End beaches have in our opinion. Magen's is a nice enough beach but does get crowded, you can walk to the "south" end to get away from the main crowd but not much help.. We decided to visit other beaches while staying on STT one day when there was only one smaller ship in port. Magens was more crowded than we liked and we only spent 1/2 hr there (after paying the entrance and car fee). Returned to Sapphire and it was much more laid back and comfortable. The food and drink options are also better at Sapphire.

Coki, Secret Harbor, and Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) are other popular beaches and Coki typically has a much livelier vibe because it's a very small bay with many vendors. Lindbergh is a nice place to relax but doesn't have the beauty of Sapphire, and SH is a calm small bay but there is no shade for day visitors.

So just a vote here for beautiful Sapphire since everyone else recommends Magens. Smith Bay is also gorgeous but lacks the amenities you desire. Also check the excellent reviews from other cruisers on cruisecritic for their experiences, many are snorkelers, but many others are just folks looking for a gorgeous beach and water to stare at with shade and no huge crowds.

Have fun herdsfan4 wherever you get sandy!

Edited: 19 August 2013, 18:34
Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
St. Thomas
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best beach for us

Sapphire needs to improve the public restrooms badly . Last three times we tried Sapphire it was just too windy and not pleasant to be on the beach so we moved further east. It's amazing how different the weather can be on such a small island.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 21:25
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best beach for us

Yes, we have also experienced windier and rougher days when the weather was less than ideal. This can happen at any of the nicest beaches throughout the Caribbean and Mexico of course. But it's really unfortunate when you're on a cruise stop and can't revise your plans and go to the beach another day! Windier weather never really took away from our beach experience as we enjoy staring at the water and islands more than swimming and snorkeling when at a beach. But yes, weather is king when it comes to beaches. Magens and SH are very calm bays and great for toddlers but just less interesting to us as adults, shall I say? Just our opinion again, we are biased toward Sapphire as you can tell... {;>}

The restrooms do occasionally get a bad rap but I think most cruisers and other day visitors report they are actually pleasantly surprised as compared to other beach restrooms. But I'm sure it is a matter of timing and perhaps expectations...

But any beach on STT will be a nice day, and the nice thing about the East End is that Coki, Smith Bay, Sapphire and SH are close enough together to enjoy 2 different experiences in one cruise stop...

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
East End
East End
St. Thomas
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best beach for us

kz you mentioned you love Mexico, we do too. We usually stay just south of PDC to enjoy the gorgeous beaches and water. Last May we spent 2 weeks in PV, our first visit to the Pacific coast. The beaches and water are nothing like on the Carib side and we knew that as we made our plans to go there. But the mountains meeting the sea are beautiful, and PV and the surrounding towns are very nice.The USVI and other areas of the eastern Carib are a much different experience, for sure.

We love gorgeous beaches and being on the water, but we will return to PV (and to the Casa Isabel hotel overlooking the city) again, what a special place...

Edited: 20 August 2013, 01:58
Huntington, West...
Level Contributor
227 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best beach for us

Thanks sttresident. We went to Magens bay and absolutely loved it. My review should be up soon. I included pictures.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best beach for us

Glad you enjoyed it and it fit the bill! I'll look out for your review and hope you had a wonderful time on the rest of your cruise. I did a lot of Caribbean cruises on different ships and so enjoyed the experience - returning to several of those islands which I enjoyed later on for longer periods with more time to explore.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Reply to: Best beach for us
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Coast