We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Hey everyone! I hope all of you are doing well.

By the title of my thread, some you you might think I'm joking about how bad Rum Cay is, in an effort to keep it from being discovered from other tourists, but sadly, that is NOT the case in this trip report that I am about to post.

Sadly, this is the real deal, and I NEVER imagined in a million years that I would ever face what i did on this trip to Rum Cay this past Mother's Day weekend.

So here is what happened........

In late April, I met up with a guy who I had been FB friends with for a long time, but had not yet met in person. He was also a private pilot like myself, although his certificate long ago expired.

I met up with him and his girlfriend in the West Palm Beach area in late April for some drinks. Although of course it was my first time meeting them face-to-face, we had a lot of mutual friends in common, one of which posts regularly on this site (I don't want to say who) that I've flown with in the Bahamas several years ago.

This guy and I made arrangements when we were out for drinks to take a weekend trip to Rum Cay. The plan was to depart on Fri morning May 11th and return on Sun May 13th.

What made this even more exciting was that this guy knew a lot of people on Rum Cay which meant that we had a FREE place to stay, as well as others who could cook us lunch and dinner, free of charge. Not bad....eh!

All was well as we took off from North County airport, about 10 miles from PBI. We cleared customs at Stella Maris Long Island, and the flew the remaining 22 miles to Rum Cay, arriving around 12:30 on Fri afternoon.

The guy who was going to cook for us, came to the airport to pick us up, and we started drinking beer just 10 minutes later, having a good time. Weather was great, all that. We are dropped off at the free house and bring our stuff in, and then have dinner up the hill at his friends place, just a 2 min walk away.

We keep drinking, although nothing too crazy, and get in bed around 11:00, ready for the next day.

Sat AM, I wake up late, as per the usual on vacation but then by 11 AM, this guy has started drinking. No big deal, I've started drinking that early on vacation before.

Soon, we are hanging around his friend, trying to repair an ATV that is leaking fuel.

Now, its 2:00 PM Sat and he seems to have gotten a bit more belligerent after drinking even more, but nothing I've not seen before. He wants to stay and extra day, so I arrange an extended plane rental. The airport is fine with that.

Then by 5:00, he has drank so much, he goes back to sleep at the place we are staying at just 2 min walk down the hill.

So, its now 7 PM, and I walk down from his friends house to wake him up for dinner. He is PASSED OUT DRUNK and does not respond to me when I call him. I then raise my voice to try to get him up for dinner, and to no avail.

So I walk back up to and tell this guys friend that he won't be eating with us.

So I eat dinner with this guy and his girlfriend. Then at 9 PM I walk down to the place we are staying. I'm getting eaten alive by bugs. Not fun. As I'm walking down the hill, my friend is walking towards me, rather drunk still.

He's like......Coop......what about dinner??

So I said, "well.....we ate already. You were passed out drunk"

And he gets very belligerent with me, as if its my job to look over him. Sheesh.

Then he's like.....Lets go to the bar.....I know one of my buds there......and we can get some hookers"

Yea sure........on Rum Cay where there are just 96 people. F#$@ck off pal!

So I'm like....."nah......I want to get to bed". Not to mention how bad the bugs are there.

He's in my face trying to get me to go with him to the bar, a 10 min walk away. I want a cold shower and then bed. No thanks pal.

So he follows me back, and once in the guesthouse, he goes off on the most random crap you can imagine.

He's telling me how he's going to make a $5 million deal on the marina this week. Mind you, this marina has been practically ABANDONDED for the last 10 years!

Then is telling me he can get me a $800K loan on a plane for 0% interest, and upgrade me.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Seriously!

He starts saying the absolutely most F'ed up random stuff to me once inside.

Then I tell him, I gotta shower, and walk in the bathroom. I'm standing there about to undress and he keeps ranting. I tell him I gotta shower, and close the door on him because he won't stop ranting.

As I'm about to do that, he goes off on me and says "Don't you ever shut the door on me when I'm talking to you". "don't disrespect me like that".

At that point, he's crossed the line. He is no longer annoying and belligerent. He is making me feel PHYSICALLY in danger.

Luckily, he left me alone to shower, then he goes out into town to the bar with this guy who owns the place where we are staying. Thank GOD he's gone for a while and I have some peace.

So, I go into my room, and pack ALL my stuff, for fear he might steal it. I put my bags right by my door. Luckily we are in separate rooms.

2 hrs later, now 11:30 PM, he comes back home even more drunk than before.

But it gets worse, if that's even possible.....

He comes into my room, and lies on my bed, just 2-3 feet from me, as I'm trying to go to bed

F'ing CREEP this DB is!

He is in my face, and is ranting about the most random stuff, even calling the locals the N word sometimes.

He's saying how he got into a fight with a cop on Rum Cay, but the other cop took his side. Then he is saying how the local people (calling them the N word to me again) learned that he flew with me and that they were going to tamper with the plane, and steal fuel, oil, etc

So anyway, as tempting as it is to beat the crap out of him, I swallow my pride.......I need to lose a battle with him, to later win the WAR......as you'll see later.

So, I slept very lightly that night......very much on-edge dealing with this loose cannon in the room next to me.

At 5:45 the next morning (Mothers day), with the loud A/C on, I quietly gather all of my bags, and walk out the door,..........trekking 4 miles all the way to the airport. Luggage in tow!

After 1h 15 min walk, I finally reach my plane, and do the most thorough inspection EVER, after what he said last night. Fuel is where it should be, oil is at the right level.

I throw my bags into the plane, taxi back on the runway, turn around, and apply full power to start the takeoff roll, there by LEAVING HIS SORRY BUTT BEHIND on Rum Cay while still sound asleep. Its only 7:15 AM!

I hope the 22 miles over to Long Island, and let me tell ya, it was the most liberating feeling to touch down on a separate island from him.

I lost the battle with this POS the previous night by swallowing my pride when he would not stop ranting, but I WON THE WAY by punching him where it hurt the most.........in his WALLET!

I then cleared customs on Long Island, and flew back to PBI, cleared US customs, and then drove back to my uncle house in Jupiter, FL.

At that point I sent a text to this guy that said:

Your behavior last night was completely inappropriate, and frankly, I was even concerned about physical harm from you, or others, based on the comments you made last night. I do NOT feel safe flying with you and therefore you will be responsible for making your own transportation arrangements to leave Rum Cay. In almost 20 years of traveling with friends, I've NEVER felt as uncomfortable....even physically unsafe....as I did last night around you. Please do NOT contact me further. Thank You.

Luckily, he knew better than to test me further, and did not contact me.

What a helluva story. I never imagined this would happen on one of my Bahama Out Island trips.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Jupiter
Jupiter
Florida
11 replies to this topic
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
964 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Did you not know you were going to RUM cay? 😂

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Sounds like another “made for TV moment” though not on PBS this time!!! Haha! Crazy and sad at the same time.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Not a fun trip at all :-(. I would have left his sorry a$$ there too!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Bummer! Glad you got out of there relatively unscathed! Any redeeming qualities about Rum Cay? Or should it be avoided by normal people like us? :)

Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Sounds absolutely dreadful, but on the bright side you have a great story to tell for the rest of your life.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
381 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Confirming my practice to give potential travel buddies a tryout....

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

<< What made this even more exciting was that this guy knew a lot of people on Rum Cay which meant that we had a FREE place to stay, as well as others who could cook us lunch and dinner, free of charge. Not bad....eh!>>

Coop, that was your first clue! LOL! Jeez, somehow when the guy claimed he "knew a lot of of people" on RC, you didn't think to ask how? Now you know! What a nightmare! I'd left him behind too -- after having hogtied him in his room so he wouldn't get up in the night and come into my room.

Somehow, I don't think he'll go back -- if he ever left without getting his rump beaten to a pulp -- which he deserved!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Dusty the people on Rum are real standup peeps. The travel buddy in question has just managed to put on enough airs to fool some good people into getting involved with him.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

And worse yet Jungledriver and Dusty, this guy has business cards all over the Stella Maris airport.

Of course I Googled his name AFTER I got back home, and saw he was arrested and briefly jailed for domestic battery.

Lesson learned.

He ended up getting a charter flight off Rum, but not until 3 days later. Had to have cost him a pretty penny!

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((

Sounds awful but that was a heck of a read. You must be a very patient man!

Reply to: Papafox's worst EVER trip to Rum Cay last month:-((
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted