We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Ellicott City, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Quick question about snorkeling at the lagoon at Atlantis. Does anyone know how much it costs to rent snorkeling equipment? I thought I read $15 on here, but that seems awfully low for Atlantis.

Thanks!

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

It is $15 for 60 minutes. It is a total waste of time to snorkel in the lagoon - we have our own equipment so went out one day. Visibility was horrible; you have to make sure you don't get run over by all the water toys; and the fish were few and far between. It was also filthy - my husband retreived a beach chair from the bottom and lugged it ashore - it had been there a while. He also dragged up the hood of a jet ski - who knows how that got there since you can't jet ski in the lagoon. If we had paid to rent snorkel equipment, I would have demanded my money back. And, you can buy sets at Costco for about the same price.

Chicago
Level Contributor
519 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

banana - we are taking our own snorkeling gear. Is there somewhere else to snorkel at Atlantis that would be free? My son is trying it for the first time, so we don't really want to pay for and deal with an excursion....he might give up easily.

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Annie - I suggest the pool for a first time. Since you are taking your stuff, you can try him out in the lagoon too - very calm and you could stay in the areas away from the water toys. He might not see anything but will get the idea. It was very windy while we were there so the ocean never calmed enough to snorkel out there. While I said it was horrible, our 8 year old daughter is just happy to snorkel around and doesn't really care if she sees tons of fish - she just loves to do it.

ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

If you do snorkel in the lagoon, try the area by the walking bridge on the west end. There are fish there, just not many varieties.

mark

sc
Level Contributor
743 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

When we go snorkeling on PI we head to the far end of Cabbage Beach near the rocks or to the Old Club Med Beach

Mentioned in this post
Cabbage Beach
Cabbage Beach
898 Reviews
New Providence Island
Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

They don't let you get very close to the bridge so it is hard to see many fish there. We did see quite a few Sargeant Majors near the rocks and 3 angels swimming around over near the bridge but that was it. The water was also very murky. If you have never snorkeled before it might be fun but when you are used to seeing huge schools of fish and lots of variety, it was extremely disappointing, especially with all the trash in the lagoon. We saw one poor black urchin with a plastic cup covering it....

kansas city
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

Ahhhhh, now I'm feeling sorry for the sea urchin!!!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

rosiesc You said "When we go snorkeling on PI we head to the far end of Cabbage Beach near the rocks or to the Old Club Med Beach" Where is that and how do you get there from the cruise ship dock? Is it by the Marriott or by the Ocean club or in between? If we went there could we grab lunch at one of those hotels? Any place to sit?? Chairs?

Mentioned in this post
Cabbage Beach
Cabbage Beach
898 Reviews
New Providence Island
9. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 13:19