We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Food at Atlantis

Chicago
Level Contributor
519 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best Food at Atlantis

my hubby and I are planning two dinners w/out kids (they'll go to the kids club). We eat out a frequently in Chicago, so are used to great food! We'd like a recommendation for the best food at Atlantis (don't want to leave the resort since we don't want to be too far from the kids). We like a varied American/Italian menu; steak, chops, pasta, salmon, love a great salad and soup too!

Share with us your favorite restaurant at Atlantis and why! (and about how much $$ did you spend there).

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Riverhead, Long...
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

My hubby and I were just there. Hands down, Mesa Grill. Everyone at the resort was talking about it. You must try it...without the kids. They had a little bit of everything that you mentioned that you like.

The prices were not that bad, entree's pretty much started around $28.00 and went up to about $50.00.

The food is seasoned with just a little "kick" not too spicy, my kids would be able to eat it so don't be turned off by the sounds of that. Drinks cost I believe $16.00 for my cosmo's, $18.00 for their signature Margareta (bad spelling, sorry) and I think like $12.00 for beer. But that seems to be the price at most places. They do have a nice bar for a cocktail before or after if you choose.

We went to The Dune one night. That was very nice, I just don't know what all of the hype was about. We hired a private car to drive us there and back. I just could not justify eating at this beautiful restaurant, paying all of that money, and then getting into a shuttle van to bring me back to the hotel. It was well worth the $50.00. We went a bit early so that we could watch the sunset from the outside bar, it was truely a beautiful sight. For 2 hours our bar bill was $90.00. Our dinner cost about $180.00 which included 1 dinner, desert (which was fantastic) 1 drink each and an irish coffee. I guess that The Dune is something to do atleast once. And for a special night I would recommend it.

Hope that this helps you. Have a great trip!

Glen Rock, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

+1 to the previous recommendation -- both Mesa and Dune are great. A word of caution though -- some dishes at Mesa are very hot and spicy, make sure you can withstand the heat. Besides, the meat cooked medium there can easily be presented as rare in different places. So if you need something medium-well done - ask for well done, and not medium well. I asked for medium rare and my dish was wonderful but it was very rare (fine with me)...

Another wonderful and romantic place - Cafe Martinique. To me it felt like something from the black-and-white movies of 1930-40, like Casablanca. I do not know, maybe it's just me - but I believe this is the effect they are trying to make. It's for grown-up only (12+).

Regards,

-Anatoly

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Martinique
Cafe Martinique
634 Reviews
New Providence Island
kansas city
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

Does Bobby Flay actually do all the cooking? My DH wants a meal cooked by Bobby Flay.

Glen Rock, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

He is still there and it seems he is actually doing a lot of cooking in the kitchen. I guess only he knows for how much longer he will stay there.

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

Bobby Flay doesn't do the cooking at Mesa Grill. I have food allergies so when we went, I met with the Executive Chef who prepared my meal for me. Bobby was there but only to make sure everyone was happy; not to cook.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

You're right.. Celebrity chef's oversee the operation for a while.. create original menu and recipes (for awhile) and visit from time to time. Same with jean George, Emeril and wolfgang puck, as well as Nobu Matsuhisa.. they can't be at all their restaurants at the same time. They set a standard.

Bobby Flay is still in the kitchen.. but probably only until the official Cove opening next month.

Riverhead, Long...
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

When we were there last Friday, he was staying at the hotel still, but was not at the restaurant that evening. I was hoping to see him, especially on a Friday night but the hostess told us that he was not stopping in as much. I guess that everyone deserves a break every now and then, lol.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

My wife and I ate at Mesa Grill last Saturday, and were told that Bobby Flay hadn't been there in over a week, and wasn't expected back soon, so I wouldn't count on seeing him while you're there. I had been looking forward to my meal for weeks, and my expectations were a bit too high, as I ended up being underwhelmed. I started with one of the signature margaritas ($12, by the way), that was just fine. After that, I had a shrimp & corn tamale appetizer, which was okay. For my entree, I was very excited about the pork tenderloin. It was tasty, with great seasoning, but it was cooked medium-well and seemed slightly dry. To be fair, my wife was very satisfied with her lobster tail entree.

However, we were both more impressed with Nobu, where we enjoyed two great meals. It had a better variety of dishes, and everything was prepared perfectly. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Stay away from Mama Loo's. My wife and I spent $120 for mediocre Chinese food, including an oversalted seafood soup.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

How was the atmosphere at the Mesa Grill versus Nobu? We've planned our reservations (Fathoms-Dune-Cafe Martinique-Steakfire- Dune again- Mesa Grill), and don't want to end up with that final night being a let down. I can deal with the food issues, but woud like to go to restaurant with a great bar and a bit of a "wow" factor.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Martinique
Cafe Martinique
634 Reviews
New Providence Island
Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Food at Atlantis

I would say Nobu is more wow than Mesa Grill in terms of atmosphere but it also has delicious food too. At Mesa Grill, the tables are quite close and the lighting is pretty bright; at Nobu, it is much more intimate. I have to say, Mesa Grill had one of the prettiest bathrooms I have ever seen - even took photos! I loved the food at both places so can highly recommend both of them. Go for the tuna appetizer at Mesa - it was a huge hit with everyone who ordered it.